• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

This is my first HD transfer from Spectra and I was amazed to find that I cannot even open the file. My last transfers from them were both Prores but SD and they opened fine (I have the latest QT installed) but this one says Quicktime doesn't understand it? What is going on?

Any help is appreciated.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

My first reaction in this situation is to get the free tool ffmpeg and run "ffmpeg -i [filename]".

Post all the commandline output beneath "Input #0..", which will look something like this:

Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'D:\ComponentEdit\Day1\SAMURAI_S001_S001
_T008.MOV':
  Metadata:
    major_brand     : qt
    minor_version   : 537199360
    compatible_brands: qt
    creation_time   : 2000-02-24 10:20:42
    make            : omos
    make-pkt        : omos
    encoder         : murai - 4.02
    encoder-t{a     : murai - 4.02
    timecode        : 00:03:37:09
  Duration: 00:00:02.28, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 147988 kb/s
    Stream #0:0(eng): Audio: pcm_s16le (sowt / 0x74776F73), 48000 Hz, stereo, s1
6, 1536 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
    Stream #0:1(eng): Video: prores (apch / 0x68637061), yuv422p10le, 1920x1080,
 146390 kb/s, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 2500 tbn, 2500 tbc (default)
    Metadata:
    Stream #0:2(eng): Data: none (tmcd / 0x64636D74), 0 kb/s (default)
    Metadata:
      timecode        : 00:03:37:09
At least one output file must be specified

#3 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:03 PM

I doubt this will be much help, Phil, but here goes.

cmdline.jpg

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

It's broken. It's not a quicktime movie.

How big is the file?

#5 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

It's broken. It's not a quicktime movie.

How big is the file?

3.7 GB. So it is the fault of Spectra then?

I have tried this on another system and still the same result.

#6 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

If that's the only copy of it you have, you're screwed. 

The technical situation behind that is that quicktime movies (and AVIs and other things) are made up of a series of nested "atoms", each of which comprises a four-character descriptive code and a length within the file. The atom which describes the most basic features of a quicktime movie - resolution, etc - is called MOOV and is generally located at the end of the file for things which have been recorded in realtime, because it contains references to things like the number of frames that aren't known when you start to record. The MOOV atom is sometimes deliberately located at the front of a file that's intended to be streamed off the internet, so software can begin to replay the file before it is complete. Probably your file was truncated, either by a disk error or because someone unplugged a drive before a write was finished.

If it doesn't have a MOOV atom, nothing is ever going to be able to play it, unless you can find some sort of data forensics recovery tool which will attempt to rebuild the file based on observation of its contents. You could, I suppose, open up the file in a hex editor and see if the damage to it is obvious and fixable by hand, but I have to say this is highly unlikely in such a large file and if you don't have a lot of knowledge of how quicktime movies are supposed to work internally.

P

#7 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

A twist...I just got back from Fry's where I popped the DVD into a MacBook Pro and it plays. I have no idea how it plays on there but not on here if what you said is true.

What now?

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Read error on the DVD, then. Find a drive that'll read it and copy it onto something more reliable - twice.

P

#9 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

Read error on the DVD, then. Find a drive that'll read it and copy it onto something more reliable - twice.

P

I don't think that is it. I have tried reading directly from disk (like I did on the MacBook Pro which worked, although lagged) and I have tried reading from disk on both PCs (neither worked)

It really seems to be a compatibility issue or codec issue but I have downloaded everything I know to (which isnt much) from Apple's site with regard to quicktime and prores. 

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:18 PM

If neither quicktime nor ffmpeg will read it, there's something wrong with the file. If that something is the fact that it's being broken in the reading process, then find something that'll read it and copy the whole file off the disc.

Although really if the disc is bad, you ought to be taking it back to the people who made it, though I do appreciate the convenience and time issues that can sometimes impose themselves.

P

#11 Matthew W. Phillips

Matthew W. Phillips
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1792 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

If neither quicktime nor ffmpeg will read it, there's something wrong with the file. If that something is the fact that it's being broken in the reading process, then find something that'll read it and copy the whole file off the disc.

Although really if the disc is bad, you ought to be taking it back to the people who made it, though I do appreciate the convenience and time issues that can sometimes impose themselves.

P

Phil, I am grateful that you are trying to help. But your logic doesn't make sense. How can the disk or file be broken when the file plays fine on a Mac? When I try to either play it right off disk or copy it on PC, it doesnt work. It makes no sense unless there is a compatibility issue.

#12 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

If it plays fine on a Mac, open it on the Mac and save it back as another Quicktime file in whatever codec you need, even the original, and I bet it will work.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineLab

Opal

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies