Photo

What do you have to take into account when it comes to aspect ratio?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scott karos

scott karos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

I want to experiment with different kinds of aspect ratio and would love some advice. I know that you have to be aware of certain things while your shooting but I'm still not sure how to go about it.

#2 Phillip Mosness

Phillip Mosness
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:47 AM

Hello Scott,

Out of curiosity, are you thinking in terms of the artistic, or more purely technical challenges?

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

I tend to go with feel; but in truth this comes down a lot to the directors wishes.

For myself, I make my own recommendation based upon how I feel about the main characters in the script. For example, you have a film where a man is very isolated.. well you could do that in 2.35:1 and make him really stand out in in a big empty frame, or you could go 1.85:1 ad have him encompass the whole frame (in a close up). Or even 1.37:1, if you wanted something different. What I would recommend, though, would come really based upon the script as a whole which'll give me some clues as to which way to go on it.

Locations play a part-- small rooms in 2.35 is a major hassle, which may not work, but normally isn't a deal breaker.

This isn't yet talking about doing actual anamorphic-- which often becomes a budgetary issue (lens and body rentals to deal with that as well as top notch ACs and gaffers to get the stops you need).

Though I am in no way a good representation of "normalcy" in film since I can only approach a project from my own humble perspective.

At the end of the day, however, the choice will come down to the director, and how they feel about it-- what has shaped their opinions on this or that aspect ratio, and agree or disagree, I'll shoot it that way for them.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Opal

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies