M Gallagher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canberra, Australia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

Cinematographers often shoot an entire scene at a single aperture. I always thought this was more of a guide for lighting rather than a hard and fast rule. Could someone enlighten me as to why this would be considered so important a rule.

Thanks
M

#2 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:36 AM

it's much easier to match the shots in color grading if exposure is the same in all shots (differences between shots compensated with actual lighting, not camera tweaking. if you are changing the aperture to compensate, for example, hot window, then you will underexpose your ambience which definitely shows in the final image)

#3 M Gallagher

M Gallagher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canberra, Australia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

[quote name="aapo lettinen" post="411413" timestamp="1403001380"]it's much easier to match the shots in color grading if exposure is the same in all shots (differences between shots compensated with actual lighting, not camera tweaking. if you are changing the aperture to compensate, for example, hot window, then you will underexpose your ambience which definitely shows in the final image)[/quote?

That makes sense. Thanks

So this means that it is the exposure level that is important as opposed to the physical stop or aperture. If I put in an nd and opened the aperture accordingly it would be the same (apart from DoF of course) or am I still missing something.

#4 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

It's more important to maintain consistent Exposure than a consistent Stop. If you're lighting the scene there's no reason to vary your stop, unless for dramatic effect. You might not use the same stop for every shot, but generally you wouldn't want matching closeups to have wildly different DoF, for instance.

#5 M Gallagher

M Gallagher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canberra, Australia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thank you Stuart. That is great to hear. And I totally agree about consistency in dof and lighting but I have been hearing that the actual stop was more important than the exposure which made no sense to me but then I kept reading how one scene or another was shot at a particular stop and began to wonder. Anyway thanks again.

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

CineLab