Photo

Who's left that can cheaply transfer B&W reversal?

Super8 reversal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

Well, the market continues to shrink as a number of places that developed or transferred reversal have closed shop. In particular, places that offered inexpensive transfer/scans ($25 a roll or less) with no minimum have ceased to exist. 

As you may know I received my camera back from Willard Engineering after much wrangling and will have to do some tests. I shot one cartridge of Tri-X already and will shoot another this weekend. 

But these are test rolls. I just need to see if the camera is working properly. I do not have access to a projector so I will need them transferred. 

Any recommendations? Other than cvsprofessionals (who may no longer be in business) the places I see have minimum requirements or want you to buy a hard drive. It cannot be anywhere that has minimum time or roll requirement. 100ft wouldn't come close to making that worthwhile. 

Thanks in advance. 

#2 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:38 PM

Matt- I do one roll minimums at $15 per roll plus return shipping.
www.silentfilmworks.com
There is a Tri-X sample but it has some grain reduction. You can get a TIFF sequence 720 or 1080P but will need to send some kind of storage device with the reel. Spectra Film does good B&W processing.

#3 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1049 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

Not sure on pricing but gamma ray digital will do test transfers for a good price too.

#4 Josh Gladstone

Josh Gladstone
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Editor
  • Hollywood

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:20 PM

Maybe it doesn't help, but if I were you'd I'd just get a projector. It's worth having one around, and if you keep an eye on Craigslist and buy local, it shouldn't cost much.

#5 Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

I've bought and sold two projectors over the years, neither of which worked out. Both chewed up my film. And with Kodak's color reversal out of the equation I'll be shooting mostly negative so...

#6 Perry Paolantonio

Perry Paolantonio
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, MA

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

Matt,

Our rates are in line with what you're looking for, for 2k scans, not HD (we can do HD, too, but there's little point unless your film is shot widescreen). No minimum for camera test reels or for students, but we do have a 100' minimum for normal orders. You can supply your own hard drive, and there are no fees for copying the files. DPX, TIFF, Quicktime, whatever you need. Turnaround time is generally 24 hours for small orders.

PM me if you want more info, or send me an email through our web site (the contact form goes directly to me).

-perry

#7 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

There are tons of film chain places out there that will transfer for those prices or less but you'd be much better off with Perry's solution.

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

The Slider

Opal

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab