Photo

What percentages of budget should go to camera dept?

budgets camera budget perce

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 M Gallagher

M Gallagher

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canberra, Australia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:55 AM

I am predominantly talking micro and ultra low budget films in this thread.

I know these things are fluid but I am after some rough guides as to what percentages of budgets should go to different areas around the camera department. Is there a percentage that should go to the Gaffer or Grip for example?

I have recently worked on some different films and a recent feature only had 15k for hiring lights but 70k for special effects make-up. There were extenuating circumstances wondering if there any guides for these things.

#2 Krishnā Sriram

Krishnā Sriram

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

I just finished shooting a low budget feature in Berlin about 3 weeks ago (14-16k euros, 15 days)

The gaffer went under my department, as the crew size was really small and we had only 1 man for the lights.

I had around 10% for equipment rentals (got a c100, lenses, tripod, fresnels, lightstands, sandbags and other basics for free) and apart from that the majority went to portable lighting (bicolor), monitor, extra c-stands, apple boxes, practical purchases, lots of flags (super useful at this budget), sometimes extra kinoflo's.

There's no given percentage - I think what you could look at is seeing what you actually need. For example if the gaffer wants four HMI's then ask if it's really needed, if it isn't you can shift that budget into your department, all about economising and compensating.

The budget within the camera department at this level is supposed to be fluid, from what I learned..

I also had my own rigs and AC monitor on set.

The way I did it was to rent it out in blocks when we actually needed the stuff - production insisted on taking it all out on a big quote - but I'd say we saved 400-500 euros on being strategic - you can save some money by telling the rental house you need the equipment for the whole of saturday and taking it out friday evening, and they are closed on sunday so the only time you could return it would be sunday morning - this way you can be smart about how much you pay and get more days outta them.

Definitely develop a relationship with the rental house and bring them your budget, tell the guy this is what you have and if they can break a deal for you. Obviously this depends on what you're getting and how early you tell them.

CineLab

Opal

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Visual Products