The new Blackmagic Camera Update 1.8 software features a completely new code base for all Blackmagic digital film cameras so provides a foundation for new features. This update supports the original wide dynamic range 2.5K Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K.
This all new code base also improves performance and includes a new modern user interface similar in design to the new URSA camera announced at NAB. This new user interface is included in all models of cameras available from Blackmagic Design, allowing a nice clean fresh look.
- Includes updated features for all Blackmagic Design cameras and is available now for download free of charge for all existing Blackmagic Camera customers from the Blackmagic Design support page.
- Features a completely new code base for all Blackmagic digital film cameras, improving performance and including a new modern user interface similar in design to the Blackmagic URSA.
- Adds compressed RAW DNG support for the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K model.
- DaVinci Resolve 11, also available today, fully supports RAW grading and rendering to final output direct from the RAW camera original files. This means customers get incredible first generation masters, with a solution that edits RAW files as easily and as responsively as a normal video file.
- Enhanced lens control support for EF lens mount cameras, such as the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K models. This means customers can now get auto focus when pushing the focus button on active EF based lenses, and the cameras will mathematically analyze the center of the image and optimize the focus for maximum sharpness.
- Because this update uses the focus button for auto focus, the focus peaking feature is now enabled by double pressing the focus button.
- Improves the focus peaking display allowing incredibly accurate and super sharp manual focus, critical when using cine lenses.
- Iris control has been changed, due to customer request, to hold its setting between record and playback.
- Includes major improvements for the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera models, such as improved audio performance and a completely rewritten new higher quality de-bayer processor. This new de-bayer means when customers record to normal video files, such as ProRes or DNxHD, they will get sharper and cleaner looking images.
- Other benefits for the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera include enhancements to the camera’s dynamic range when shooting at 1600 ISO, meaning customers will get even more dynamic range and image quality, free of charge, even if they purchased their camera two years ago.
- Improvements for the Pocket Cinema Camera are also included in this update, including the modern updated interface, new focus peaking and improved de-bayer quality, plus additional active MFT lens support for lenses including Sigma and Lumix.