Photo

What is this editing/shooting technique formally known as?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yash Lucid

Yash Lucid
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Director
  • South Africa

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:06 PM

There is a specific type of editing/shooting technique that is used in film, and I wonder if it has a specific name or description.

It's basically where you repeat shots throughout your film, but sometimes change it. For example, in Don Jon, they constantly showed him getting his day started, going to the gym, doing certain things etc... and as the movie progressed, so did his character, and as a result, when the shots were repeated, some were changed, therefore illustrating the change in his lifestyle/character. It was also used in Groundhog Day when the character needed to get a certain outcome.

I remember reading about it awhile back but I just can't remember it now, and I need to. I want to find out which directors use this technique, and see how some execute this technique compared to others, and ultimately create my own.

Any input?

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:58 AM

In music it's a Leitmotif, a musical phrase that constantly reoccurs and is associated with a person, place or idea. I don't think there's a different term in film, although it would be a planned in the script, rather than just something the director comes up with,

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

In your specific example, I would just call them a sequence of montages. That's probably horribly awkward grammar when translated into French though.🙍

If you're looking for specific examples of rituals in films, I would look at John Ford's 'How Green Was My Valley.' Ford in general was really into depicting everyday rituals (weddings, funerals, family meals, drinking at the bar, going to church, parades, military life, etc) and illustrating the passage of time thru changes in ritual behavior.

#4 David Landau

David Landau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New Jersey & New York

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

In music it's a Leitmotif, a musical phrase that constantly reoccurs and is associated with a person, place or idea. I don't think there's a different term in film, although it would be a planned in the script, rather than just something the director comes up with,

In film courses they call this Leitmotif.  Its written into the screenplay - it has to be planned into the shooting schedule by the line producer and AD long before shooting begins. They do the break downs from the final script. If the director came up with the idea, he/she had the writer add it before they started preproduction.

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam