Photo

Deflicker or similar program for correcting unwanted changes in exposure??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:23 AM

I was asked to shoot a video for a relative not too long ago. I have to admit that I'm a very big advocate of using manual exposure in my video shooting. In fact, about 90% of the time, I shoot on manual when using video for my own projects. However, upon reviewing the footage that I shot for the relative, it seems that for some crazy reason, I had shot one particular scene using auto exposure and it was a situation that wouldn't really benefit from auto exposure in any way. I don't know what I was thinking at the time but now I am really kicking myself for it.

As people (wearing a mix of dark and light clothing) pass by the camera, the aperture is opening and closing, resulting in fluctuations in exposure - one of my pet hates. They are generally not huge fluctuations for the most part. A lot of the really severe changes in picture brightness have been edited out. Even so, the exposure changes in the final edit are distracting nonetheless.

In order to try and correct the problem, I was considering going through the footage frame by frame and adjusting the brightness of individual frames as required but I'm not sure if I would have the patience for that. Is there any freeware out there that evens out changes in exposure in footage? I have a recommended deflicker plugin in Virtual Dub which I have tried on a clip from the footage but that does absolutely nothing - no changes at all. I'm not expecting perfect, seamless results but something that will make the footage look more acceptable and less distracting.

#2 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Might be a bit of a rather large learning curve, but Resolve Lite is free.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

The deflicker plugins for Virtualdub are often intended to solve problems like lighting flicker and problems due to poor-quality film to video transfers. Some of them may work if you can increase the period over which they operate, but I'm not sure about the specifics. I could check.

P

#4 Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

Last week I was having some gnarly flickering problems with a timelapse. I got the plugin called "Flicker Free 1.01" by Digital Anarchy plugged into After Effects. I threw the effect on the clip of the entire timelapse sequence, the effect's preset was set to "timelapse" mode and I adjusted the "time radius" to "10". The effect adjusts the clips by itself and after that all the flickering in my video clip disappeared!

The presets include about 9 other options as opposed the preset I used, "timelapse". I bet ya there is a preset for your flickering situation. 

Don't waste your time adjusting this issue frame by frame. It's not worth it. There is a plugin for you. 

Edited by Sean Sandoval, 10 August 2014 - 09:41 PM.

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies