2 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Goehler

Albert Goehler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

Hello i am shooting dslr video.When it comes to watching i've got very different results.When i watch with vlc player the video is darker and when i watch with gom player it is much less darker.So getting accurate result from my video which player should i use or maybe should i only use Adobe Premiere to watch videos?

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like a QuickTime gamma shift issue. What platform (Mac/PC) and OS version are you running?

I haven't seen this issue since I upgraded to Mac OSX 10.8.5. I still use Preview or QuickTime 7 Pro to quickly view video files, and it matches fine with Premiere Pro CC/2014, Davinci Resolve 10 Lite, RedCineX Pro, Sony Content Browser, Canon XF Utility, etc.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:02 AM

Bear in mind all - or almost all - of those utilities will be using Quicktime to decode the video in any case. Yes, they do have some channels of control to ask Quicktime to alter its luminance decoding behaviour, but generally that'll be automated based on information in the file.

There can be some quite insidious problems with some players - on my Windows 7 workstation, for instance, VLC has different luminance behaviour on each of my two displays. 

P

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Pro 8mm

The Slider