5 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Marley

Keith Marley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hi,

I have to admit I am new to using Super 8, so forgive my lack of knowledge.

I have just bought a Canon 1014 xl-s and put in a Vision 3 50D cartidge, not done any test shoot yet but the camera appears to be in good working order.

Due to issues with cameras reading ISOs nowadays I am using a light meter and hoping to do everything manually, however there seems to be some differences in the way that the camera is reading light as compared to the way the meter is reading it.

I was in my garden and had the meter set to 24fps ISO 50 and in cloudy but bright conditions I am getting a reading of  f5.6(9), however with the camera auto reading I am getting somewhere toward f16. Just can't understand it. The meter is a decent Sekonic L-358. Should I just trust the camera on auto and point and shoot?

#2 Jose luis villar

Jose luis villar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • SPAIN

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

I think in these light conditions, the correct reading is the Sekonic.

#3 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1524 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

If you aim the camera at an 18% grey card you should have the same reading as the Sekonic incident meter.  Differences then are due to the meters.  The grey card and the Sekonic need to be aimed square at the lens axis for that comparison (that's the way I always did it anyway). 

I used to use (with a spot meter) a little 2" square folded grey card with grey,  black and white surfaces sitting in my pouch.  You can also use the back of your hand as a reference card if you know its value relative to 18% grey.  Then just tweak the reading down (for fair skined folk).

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Keep in mind that the beam splitter for the view finder cuts 2/3rds stop or more/less. The problem is that no person or S8 camera manual has yet to state a definitive amount of light loss for any S8 view finder. Unless you can determine that (most likely the way Greg stated above) most of your hand held meter shots will be under exposed.

#5 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1524 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

OK, I was a bit careless. I wasn't thinking of whether the cameras had spliter prism or what the shutter angles are. Once you know the prism loss and the shutter angle you can allow for that with your incident meter. Then you can make that comparison. Also it's worth checking the incident against some other meters.

#6 Keith Marley

Keith Marley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I had a chat with a guy in a camera shop and his advice was simply to judge the handheld meter rather than a 30 year old internal camera meter.

Will do the grey card test, so thanks for the advice Gregg

Edited by Keith Marley, 19 July 2014 - 02:22 PM.

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine

CineLab

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Zylight

Willys Widgets

The Slider