#1 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

So, I know you can't totally stabilize the image, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with a post solution to stabilize the jumps that can happen in Super 8 footage. I just want to fix the pronounced ones - the ones that distract from the viewing experience. 

Any suggestions? I tried smoothcam in FCP 7 and it has a hard time analyzing them. I'm going to try DaVinci and After Effects next. But if ya'll have a good idea to save time, that would be much appreciated. 

#2 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

I find the warp stabilizer effect in Adobe Premeire Pro CC 2014 to be as near to perfect as possible. I'll try to post some comparison footage ASAP. But basically, using a standard tripod and Canon 1014 XL-S pointing straight down the aisle and the stabilize effect set to "no motion" I get exactly that... A perfectly stable image. This assumes a good scan, of course. If the background has any distortion due to line scanners and frame jitter it will not work correctly and will look very funky.

#3 Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

I love the Warp Stabilizer.  The most natural effect I have found through experimentation, is to set the effect to 1%, choose Smooth Motion and select position, scale and rotationThis seems to leave all actual movement of the camera behind, while removing all the film jitter and weave.  It also removes subtle lens breathing when focusing.

It does have problems with scenes like big face closeups where someone turns their head, causing the entire frame to shift too much.  Then the manual Motion Tracker needs to be used.  I wish you could use something like a lasso tool to select one or more "anchors" in the frame and still use the automated WS effect.

Edited by Steve Zimmerman, 07 August 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#4 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Cool! I'll give Warp Stabilizer a try. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 

And David, would love to see those comparisons!

#5 Joel Rakowski

Joel Rakowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Other
  • United States

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

I love the Warp Stabilizer.  The most natural effect I have found through experimentation, is to set the effect to 1%, choose Smooth Motion and select position, scale and rotationThis seems to leave all actual movement of the camera behind, while removing all the film jitter and weave.  It also removes subtle lens breathing when focusing.

It does have problems with scenes like big face closeups where someone turns their head, causing the entire frame to shift too much.  Then the manual Motion Tracker needs to be used.  I wish you could use something like a lasso tool to select one or more "anchors" in the frame and still use the automated WS effect.

I pretty much do this but only let it scale and turn on max scale to like 105% or around there. Depends on the shot though, sometimes I get it trying to track the motion of people instead of just stabilizing the frame. I've found that cutting the length down for clips increases the success rate, i.e. don't take a 10 minute single clip and try to stabilize it, cut it down into shots and apply the effect individually.

I recently watched a friend of mine do some stabilization in Resolve and it looked so simple to put exact points to stabilize and eliminate false points of motion you don't want it tracked to. I really keep meaning to do a tutorial or something of the like just pertaining to super 8 jitter.

Looks like you are on the right track though

#6 Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I recently watched a friend of mine do some stabilization in Resolve and it looked so simple to put exact points to stabilize and eliminate false points of motion you don't want it tracked to. I really keep meaning to do a tutorial or something of the like just pertaining to super 8 jitter.

Does the free version of Resolve have those stabilization controls? Sounds great.

SZ

#7 Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Other
  • Charleston, SC USA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

The new Warp Stabilizer does allow you to select and delete track points!  Video below.  I must have remembered this in the back of my mind...

http://tv.adobe.com/...stabilizer-vfx/

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Visual Products

Metropolis Post