#1 Rob McGreevy

Rob McGreevy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Electrician
  • Austin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

Here's something I've been wondering about...during my days working at a rental house I was always told that when it came to balancing loads on a generator, no more than 50 amps apart was recommended - that came straight from the genny manufacturers we dealt with. I never questioned it and have always applied that formula anytime I've been in charge of a generator on set.

That being said, I've worked a number of big shows with genny ops, and I've noticed that they don't seem to apply that same formula - for example, there have been times when we would have only an Arrimax up on lines 1 and 2, and absolutely nothing on 3, and they never seem to think that that's a concern. The frequently don't even bother to let us know we need to balance until we're over 100 amps apart. I figure the genny ops know what they're doing, do they know something I don't? These are different gennies, typically bigger tractor mounted plants...is that the difference?

I'm working as a best boy on a feature right now with a Litepower 500 amp, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing - Guy Holt, would love to hear your feedback if you're around.

#2 Edward Lawrence Conley III

Edward Lawrence Conley III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

For the Arrimax- not a big deal and not a big hit for the 1200amp Tractor genny. But as you're thinking.. just because they do it doesn't mean it is a good idea in all situations.

Balancing loads is also keeping an eye on the Neutral return. Again with the Arrimax- since it is 240v there is nothing on the Neutral anyway.

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

That's assuming you are using single phase and not three phase.

Best

Tim

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

The Slider

CineTape