#1 Rob McGreevy

Rob McGreevy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Electrician
  • Austin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

Here's something I've been wondering about...during my days working at a rental house I was always told that when it came to balancing loads on a generator, no more than 50 amps apart was recommended - that came straight from the genny manufacturers we dealt with. I never questioned it and have always applied that formula anytime I've been in charge of a generator on set.

That being said, I've worked a number of big shows with genny ops, and I've noticed that they don't seem to apply that same formula - for example, there have been times when we would have only an Arrimax up on lines 1 and 2, and absolutely nothing on 3, and they never seem to think that that's a concern. The frequently don't even bother to let us know we need to balance until we're over 100 amps apart. I figure the genny ops know what they're doing, do they know something I don't? These are different gennies, typically bigger tractor mounted plants...is that the difference?

I'm working as a best boy on a feature right now with a Litepower 500 amp, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing - Guy Holt, would love to hear your feedback if you're around.

#2 Edward Lawrence Conley III

Edward Lawrence Conley III
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

For the Arrimax- not a big deal and not a big hit for the 1200amp Tractor genny. But as you're thinking.. just because they do it doesn't mean it is a good idea in all situations.

Balancing loads is also keeping an eye on the Neutral return. Again with the Arrimax- since it is 240v there is nothing on the Neutral anyway.

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

That's assuming you are using single phase and not three phase.

Best

Tim

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Pro 8mm

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Abel Cine