#1 Elliot Beach

Elliot Beach

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

Im shooting a spaghetti western and as of now I have a Glimmer Glass 2 booked as I find the Alexa sometimes to crisp, but I just wanted to ask if anyone has used another filter that might suit that western look and might suggest something please?

A few words to set a rough look:

Colours/lighting will be warm bronze-ish light, browns & dark yellows

Strong shafts form windows

Hazy

Cheers

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Brown is really just orange minus saturation, so these days most of these warm tones can easily be achieved in camera, with a LUT, and/or in post color-correction. Though if you want to pull out more blue saturation, something like a heavy Chocolate filter works nicely outdoors and you generally have more than enough exposure for one. I wouldn't bother inside though.

But considering you want diffusion and will probably need to use ND filters outdoors, that's already two pieces of glass not counting things like Polas and ND grads, so a warming filter is probably one too many, unless someone makes 85+IR+ND filters, then you can use the 85 as a strong warming filter and set your camera's color temp below 5600K to whatever degree you want to partially correct back the warmth.

BTW I'd carry at least a #1 and maybe a #1/2 GlimmerGlass (or a #1/8 Black Frost) for shots where the #2 GlimmerGlass looks too heavy, like when shooting against a hot sky or window right behind the actor's head.

I think of spaghetti westerns as being rather crisp myself, the problem isn't so much the sharpness of the Alexa, it's the clean grainless look of digital. You might be better off finding a way to add grain to the footage in post rather than diffuse the photography (I think of that hazy, soft western look as being more like "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" and "Heaven's Gate" than being like "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"...)

CineTape

The Slider

Pro 8mm

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab