2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

Great article.  He nails down all the points.

http://www.indiewire...nks-so-20140905

#2 steve waschka

steve waschka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Agree. I love film. How I use motion imaging to support what I do means I really dont get extra money to shoot. So now that I have a ton of ENG gear I shoot that. However it was a tricky trap. I bought my first used Sony BVW to shoot interviews and sports or scenes where I had to roll for long periods and may not use any of it. Film stock was eating me alive. But the path just to get to where I am now with ENG gear was a tremendous amount of self training, mounds of gear and lots of frustration. I have a lot of stills gear. Film is cheap to shoot in stills. Med format film smokes digital capture. Id rather shoot film. Motion film is not cheap. Basically for a simple shoot your talking 3x the film stock retail cost to have useable basic scans to edit. And it has a learning curve. I get why the newer generations of photographers like digital... its a comfort zone. And if they already have a 7d or the like for school theres prob little chance they will venture too far away. But my ENG gear is sooooo complicated and I dont use 30% of its capabilty. I even pull the motor drives off the lenses and make little friction stops to make the aperture ring mimic what I'm used to in film lenses. I pick up a film motion camera and love the simplicity. Love the viewfinders. Love the weight. Hate batteries. I will probably rig an anton bauer setup for my next film rig. I am thinking its time for a super 16 aaton. Walking around with that and a pocket audio recorder is bliss.

Anybody want to trade one for 3 sony bvw's, field decks, monitor, edit deck, teranex xantus, 26pin cables etc etc etc? ....Didnt think so.

Edited by steve waschka, 12 September 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Prashantt Rai

Prashantt Rai
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hey Steve,

have a look here please. you might find what you are looking for.

http://www.cinematog...800#entry415164

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Zylight

Rig Wheels Passport