4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2261 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

This is going to sound like a very amateurish question, but here it goes...

My camera is due for servicing and the focus ring on my 16mm lens is a little stiff when you turn it.  I have never needed to lubricate any part of my lenses, so where exactly would I put the lubricant?...right on the most internal part of the lens that is attached to the focus ring?  Or does this require dismantling of part of the lens?

Thanks.

#2 Francisco Ribeiro

Francisco Ribeiro

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

bring to a specialized technician lenses. May be for several reasons malfunction of focus. The least likely is lubrication.

#3 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:59 AM

Hi Bill,

is the lens an early standard mount whose mount rotates inside the camera lens port? The focus ring is solidly connected to the protruding rear of the mount on those lenses, so that the whole outer bit rotates while the internal part with the key slot remains held by the key inside the camera port. With those lenses it was recommended to lightly lubricate the mount to facilitate the rotation. Of course there could be other reasons it feels stiff - contamination inside the camera port, a burr or out-of-round bump on the lens mount, damage to the groove at the very rear of the lens mount, or damage to the spring arms that lock in to that groove and hold the lens in. Or the lubrication of the lens internal helical thread could be dried up and gummy. 

If it's a standard mount lens that doesn't rotate inside the camera lens port, then the stiffness will be due to internal lens lubrication.

#4 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2261 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

It's a Zeiss 16mm standard mount and not what I would call an early lens, but I'm not sure. It sounds like the latter one you mentioned. Either way, my camera is due for servicing so I think I'll just let the pros at Visual Products handle it.

Thanks.

#5 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

Ok, yes the Zeiss ones don't rotate inside the camera mount, so if yours is stiff to focus it needs to be dismantled, cleaned and relubricated.

Pro 8mm

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Technodolly