#1 aapo lettinen

aapo lettinen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Other
  • Finland

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

I already posted this one to the Lighting forum but I think every indie filmmaker should read this if they are planning to update their light set with chinese gear:  

http://aapolettinen....y-any-good.html

Edited by aapo lettinen, 14 September 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Damn, I want cookies and grapes now  ;)

#3 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1512 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:13 PM

Buy some used Mole or Arri lights

#4 Matthew B Clark

Matthew B Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

I have a set of these that work fantastically.  I tried to call about ten electricians in my area to look at them before use, but none of them seemed to know what to do to "check them" for safety.  I ended up just buying GFI's and saying a prayer when I flipped the switch, and I still treat them as gingerly as can be, and give lectures about how sensitive they are to people when around them. 

They do work, and look beautiful, but the problem is, they seem to be completely hit or miss, and there seems to be no quality control or reliability between sets of these.  So...in conclusion...if you are a gambling man, and/or have a pair of pliers in your back pocket, you can get a lot out of these.  But I'd be the first to say in the same breath that if something goes terribly wrong one day, I do feel a little nervous putting my life in the hands of a GFI from Home Depot though...

That said, haven't many people used total garbage solutions like these for many years on projects?  I'm talking about all kinds of "consumer" lights...very likely "Chinese made" halogen worklights....things like that.  It makes me curious about how real a threat there is.  And on the subject...if this thing does shoot an electric sharge up my spine....is the GFI going to cut it off in time?  Or what's the typical "real world danger" on GFI's anyway when using a 1K?

Edited by Matthew B Clark, 15 September 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#5 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4745 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

In the UK and other places, an initial test would be running a PAT or Portable Appliance Test.

http://en.wikipedia....pliance_testing

That won't find every possible issue and is only a snapshot, but at least some basics are covered.

#6 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

I'd love to see a similar deconstruction of the much more expensive chinese HMI's.  I've seen some comparison videos on operational differences, humming etc but not an internal tear down of the parts and ballasts, igniters etc.  Would be really interesting.

Zylight

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Pro 8mm

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

The Slider

Paralinx LLC