K3 Underwater?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thomas rasera

thomas rasera
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

is there such thing as an underwater housing for the K3?

#2 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

I've not seen or heard of one. I expect it would have to cost more than the camera itself and that spring wind would be a pain.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 May 2005 - 03:40 PM

Not one that I've ever seen. I shoot a lot of underwater video, I would love to use film, but in this case DV has become the king.

A K3 underwater interesting proposition...

How will you accurately frame the shots without a video assist on the K3 and a small monitor inside the housing?

With only 100 feet of film in the camera that won't get you very many shots. It might work for snorkling but for diving with air it would be a problem. You can't just pop up and down to change the film in the K3, you will get decompression sickness.

Underwater housing are tricky to design, the unit must be just slighty negatively bouyant with the camera inside. This means adding a carefully balanced set of weights to overcome the air pocket inside the housing where the camera resides.

The lens needs to go inside a "bubble" to compensate for how water distorts the image. You would also most likely need a ultra wide angle lens on the K3.

It would be possible to build one your self with a bit of trial and error.

Richard

#4 thomas rasera

thomas rasera
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

i figured that one doesn't exist. i would be using it for surfing. can you reccomend any good and fairly inexpesive underwater housings (or rentals) for video, such as the XL1 or GL2? thanks.

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:10 PM

The best for the GL2 by far is right here...

http://www.dive-equinox.com

Richard

#6 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:06 PM

If you *did* want to use an inexpensive 16mm camera for this kind of work, check out the old Kodak K100. It's very small, making it adaptable to a variety of housings, can do 64 fps, runs 108 seconds on a single wind, and is cheap enough to be considered expendible if a shark should mistake it for a sea lion.

#7 robtags

robtags
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:47 PM

I've seen underwater cases for the Bell and Howell 70DR on ebay for really cheap, and the camera itself is also usually really cheap. I also know of a rental house in Toronto that rents out a Bolex H16 reflex underwater package for very cheap, I'm sure this would be pretty rasonable to buy, and decent quality. No clue if this includes space for a sync motor or a magazine though.

Or if you have to take it out of the case to wind it :P that would be a bit of a hassle

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly