Matt Turner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Producer

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi Everybody,

I am looking for a cheap follow focus solution. the best I've found is from Cinegears. Has anyone used them or know anything about their products?

Thanks,

Matt

#2 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 529 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Work is based in Los Angeles but I live elsewhere.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:06 AM

I've tried a few different wireless focus/iris/zoom systems out there and the only one that truly delivers is the Preston FIZ III. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Greg

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Lol, Greg you play in a different sandbox than most of the people here!

The old analog Bartech is the most reliable single channel system under $5k. It's not sexy, but it just works. Can't say the same for the digital Bartech, Chrosziel Digifox, RT Motion, and other similar systems, they are all unusably slow at times and can be affected by radio interference from wireless video systems and other devices.

The Bartech is also cheap enough to be a great backup system. I can recount a number of times where production had rented a crap system, and the old Bartech came in to save the day. Even the most expensive reliable systems go down occasionally. I worked a 100% Steadicam job a few weeks ago where our Preston FIZ 3 went down on the martini shot. Changed to a fresh battery on the F55 and both Hirose ports stopped outputting power to the MDR (powering via Hirose > d-tap > Preston power cable). We tried resetting fuses, switching to batteries with less charge, rebooting systems, repatching cables, nothing. No Steadicam sled power cable. Ended up switching to the Steadicam op's Bartech system instead and got the shot.

#4 Gregory Irwin

Gregory Irwin
  • Sustaining Members
  • 529 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Work is based in Los Angeles but I live elsewhere.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

Bartechs are ok. I owned several at one time years ago. I couldn't get the range I needed out of them and there wasn't a zoom option at the time. Now I own several Prestons and am much more confident with them in my hands. As for breakdowns, that's an unfortunate byproduct of technology. Everything breaks at some point and will require some TLC.

Greg

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2575 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

I've had nothing but trouble with Bartechs. Unreliable and badly designed. It's worth the fight with the producers over the additional expense of getting the Preston for my 1st AC

#6 Philip Rodrigue

Philip Rodrigue

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

Redrock wireless follow focus is good....

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Zylight

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc