Photo

Footage counter broken on Canon Auto Zoom 814?

super 8 canon canon auto zoom 814

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Virginia Spoo

Virginia Spoo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student
  • Oklahoma

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

I've recently purchased a Canon auto zoom 814 (not the electric version) with two rolls of Ektachrome 160 from Ebay with a guarantee that it was completely functioning.  I loaded in the correct voltage Wein Cell batteries for the exposure meter and AA batteries and decided to load in one of the rolls of film to shoot a test roll.  I made sure I put the cartridge in the correct way and securely, and when I pressed the shutter lever it seemed as though it was filming.  However, when I checked the footage counter the little needle didn't move at all, making me worry that none of my film is actually being exposed.  I tried opening the compartment and taking out the cartridge and putting it back in, which I thought worked because I swore the needle moved a little when I pressed the lever, but I went out today to shoot and the needle didn't move at all the entire time I shot.  Could the dial just be broken and the camera actually be exposing the film or is there some other issue with my camera/ none of the footage actually getting exposed??

Thanks!

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1668 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

Could be either. I have a similar issue. I just marked the film with a sharpie at two different places, then ran it through to see if the film was advancing. It was. It's quite likely on a 30 plus year old camera that the needle is broken but everything else works.

CineLab

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine