Hi everyone. I recently came across a Bolex Paillard H16 Reflex and I'd like to shoot a short film with it in the near future. I've allready watched some videos about how to use the camera, but there are some things I can't figure out. I don't have any experience with film cameras, but I have been shooting still film a lot (35mm, 120 & 4x5") so I do have some knowledge about film. Since i'm a student and film and processing isn't what you call cheap I'd like to go in fully prepared to minimize the chance of error. If anyone could help me anwser these questions it would be greatly appreciated.
Bolex Paillard H16 Reflex
Yvar 75mm 2.8
Switar 25mm 1.4 H16 RX
Switar 16mm 1.8 H16 RX
Berthiot Pan-Cinor 17.5-70mm 2.4 + viewing scope (not sure what the correct name for that is)
16-25mm viewfinder for the Switar lenses
I'll just fire away I guess;
About the Switar lenses
1. I'd guess these are used in combination with the 16-25mm viewfinder that goes on the side of the Bolex. My question about this is, is the only way to focus these lenses through zonefocussing?
2. Since I have the 17.5-70mm should I even use these lenses?
About the Berthiot Pan-Cinor 17.5-70mm
3. However I try to get the lens on the camera, I cannot seem to get it alligned correctly (see image below) for the viewing scope. Does anyone have an idea why this is, or how I could fix this? I'd prefer to use this lens instead of the 3 primes. Any way I try the lens locks up at the point on the image below.
4. The focusring on the front needs quite a lot of power to turn, is there a safe and easy way to lubricate/ease this motion? And with the viewing scope on, is it optical focussing or do I need to zonefocus this lens?
5. Last question about this lens, when I open up the lens at the mounting threads there is a black spot inside (see image below), could anyone tell me what this is?
6. Last question, I've got a Gossen Lunasix 3 lightmeter which I use for my photography. Can I use this for metering with the bolex also? There are some "CINE" values on the meter but Im not completely sure what they do. And how would I choose a shutterspeed when filming at 24fps?
Well that was "just" it. Let me know if you need more photographs of specifics pieces of the lens to be able to find out whats wrong with the lens. Im really enthusiastic to start shooting with this Bolex so I hope you guys may have some anwsers for me. Any anwsers / tips in general are greatly appreciated.