Photo

Big overhead lighting on a large room. How to do it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Paes

Patrick Paes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sao Paulo

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Hi dudes!

I'm working on a music video and I just can't solve how I'm going to rig my lighting.

We have no money for grips, just a gaffer that works as grip sometimes, and he hasn't all the time to solve that.

We gonna be building a studio on a empty warehouse because of budget issues. We checked twice for electricity and all the issues we may face choosing it instead of a real studio.

What is the idea?

The entire music video is placed on a large bedroom (5 sq. meters or 16,4 sq. feet). The plan was to place a 3x3 meters skirted butterfly overhead, and 4 4bank kinoflo over that butterfly, I think I'd have a soft light coming overhead, without spilling on walls. The whole thing needs to look a liltle dark and creepy. Then I'd use negative fill or a Diva Lite like, to create some contrast on the only actress that will be on the scene.

What's the problem?

I have no idea how to rig that. I tought about building a grid with crank tripods outside the studio flats, but it would take meters and meters of tubing.

I tought about lighting the actress with just a kino overhead, but I think I may lost the control of the continuity, as it would be moving and lighting the space in different ways, and I woudn't have that little-almost-nothing fill on the walls to get some details.

Do you guys have any example of a similar case? Any suggestions?

Sorry for any english mistake. Not a native!

Thank you all!

Regards, Patrick.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:40 PM

You could span the set with speed rail pipe or lumber and use either a goal post rig with heavy-duty stands or mini-truss outside the set walls, or design vertical beams in the set itself to support the cross pieces.

You could rig something with chain or rope from the ceiling of the warehouse, so build the set under any architectural support that you can rig off of.

You could rent some lighting balloons with skirts and float that above the set.

You could think of a lighter rig that perhaps could be supported with ropes stretched across the set and attached to vertical supports in the warehouse. With that idea, you could stretch an UltraBounce or Muslin, no frame, and pull it tight using ropes at each corner, and then attach lightweight teasers along three sides (not heavy duvetine, something more like black rip stock tablecloth material) and then bounce into that using Source-4 Lekos.  Or perhaps a series of ropes in parallel lines across the ceiling each with a single 4' Kino in its housing with its egg crate.  Or skirted paper lanterns.

You could pick a new location where it is possible to rig off of the ceiling.

#3 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

Sounds like you can't afford to do the lighting setup the way you had planned. I would go with 4x 250w tungsten practical fixtures inside 2' China balls (paper or silk lanterns), which are light enough to be hung from rope over the top of the stage flats. Then it's just a matter of skirting the lights with long strips of Duvetene, also clipped to rope to keep the light off the walls. For even softer light, buy some bleached muslin and and stretch it under the China balls, clipping it to the Duvetyene skirts.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:56 PM

Well, I see David had the same idea!

#5 Patrick Paes

Patrick Paes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sao Paulo

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

You could span the set with speed rail pipe or lumber and use either a goal post rig with heavy-duty stands or mini-truss outside the set walls, or design vertical beams in the set itself to support the cross pieces.

You could rig something with chain or rope from the ceiling of the warehouse, so build the set under any architectural support that you can rig off of.

You could rent some lighting balloons with skirts and float that above the set.

Thank you David! I think you figured it out! I'd love to float balloons, but there's no rental company that has is here.

I tought about building a goal post rig, but it would be too big for what I need.

I think I'm going to be hanging pipes with ropes and rig everything from there. It will probably work fine.

I was so confused thinking with myself about all kinds of riggin equipment and couldn't figure out a simple way to do it, but I think I got it with the help of you guys.

Thank you, Satsuki, for the help too!

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Technodolly

Pro 8mm