#1 Simon Wyndham

Simon Wyndham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • UK

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:16 PM

As anybody here will know the Viper Filmstream camera is a piece of equipment to die for. looking at its specs and it's workflow method got me thinking about the way we obtain images from all cameras. There is even a Reelstream project for the DVX100 to obtain a raw image off the CCDs.

Which leads me to camera settings in general if one doesn't have direct access to the raw CCD image if we want to make the most of what we have for post production.

Taking the Sony shouldermounts for example, and I would imagine the SDX900, it is possible to install an SDI board and obtain a totally uncompressed 4:2:2 signal. In the field this would of course have to be recorded back to some form of hard drive.

But regarding the image adjustment in general, is there anyone here who advocates the turning off of the Matrix and detail functions of their cameras in order to minmise any electronic processing and therefore give an image that can be worked on more in post?

#2 Ben Rollason

Ben Rollason
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:38 AM

As a director and post production person, I would always advocate keeping as unadulterated an image as possible. So yes, turn off all digital enhancement and signal processing if possible.

The reality is however, that you need to weigh up time, availability and budget. Doing the work in post will take longer and cost more. If it's a job that requires plenty of post anyway, then it's not a big deal to sort out these things as part of that, otherwise I'd consider doing it in camera.

Doing it in post allows you to experiment a little and adjust the image according to what was shot - away from the distractions of the set.

There is another issue regarding compression and post though. I'm not sure at what stage the camera's image processing takes place. If it's before compression, then it's worth considering doing it in camera (more so the heavier the compression) since enhancing the image in any way will also tend to enhance compression artefacts. For instance increasing contrast and saturation in a video image tends to increase the noise too.

Ben.
Fink
http://www.fink-base.com

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

CineTape