Photo

Why I decided to go to Uni to become a Cinematographer - and quit a full time job to do so!

Cinematography University National Film School

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 772 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

And that's a wrap on the tv series! Not only was I the b - cam operator but also the 2nd unit cinematographer.

I enjoyed it a lot, learnt a lot and more important.. learnt how to start connecting emotionally with the characters through framing, something that I thought I knew how to do but I did not until I was shown how to.. work in progress there!

On the other hand, I am an Associate Member of the Society of Camera Operators since last Friday (like a lot of people here ha!), thanks to Dan for all the advice and I look forward to write on the SOC mag in a near future!

Have a good day!

#62 Juan Cobo Escorial

Juan Cobo Escorial

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

Hola!!! Hello everyone!!!!

I think this its my first post!!!

Hey Miguel Angel I have read all your post a couple of times as i think now im in a kind of similiar moment when maybe you decided to leave Spain to learn and perhaps having more opportunities.

Amazed on how much you´ve leanrt in this process and progress. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

#63 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 772 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 November 2016 - 08:06 AM

Hi Juan!

Thanks for the compliments! 

Maybe it was time to update the post, right? :D 

Hence, since November last year I have done b cam and 2nd unit on a medium movie over here in Ireland (3 million) and I'm currently working as b cam on a tv mini series. 

I also shot some commercials in South Africa and in Spain as a cinematographer and just finished two short-films which I'm very proud of. 

I would say that I'm quite happy as to how my career has progressed since I decided to go back to the filmmaking industry, also, being a b camera operator is a great way to learn more and more about blocking and polish my camera operating skills! 

I am of course jealous (good jealousy tho) at my friends in Spain when they tell me: Oh! We are going to work on a movie for 7 months! or when they work on amazing commercials and I see those on the TV but I can't be with them..  :D but I suppose that when you move on in your career you have to make those choices, do I go back to be a 2nd AC or do I stay focused on shooting things that I like.. and the answer is obvious, right? even if you don't hang out with your friends on set, you still make friends :)

We will see what next year has for me! 

I hope you have a good year too Juan!

Have a lovely day!

#64 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 772 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:26 PM

Just wanted to say that I'm prepping my first movie, love the script, the cast and the director

And I'm also doing the preproduction of another one which will be shot in Croatia later in 2017.

Happy days!

#65 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

Just wanted to say that I'm prepping my first movie, love the script, the cast and the director

And I'm also doing the preproduction of another one which will be shot in Croatia later in 2017.

Happy days!

Congrats, Miguel!  Best of luck with everything!

#66 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:53 PM

Nice one.. good luck with it all.. are you finding yourself shooting on film or digital ..  do you have a preference ?

#67 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 772 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:33 AM

Thank you!!

We talked about shooting the first one in Super 16 but it was impossible for us to get dailies daily so the conversation stopped there.

I'm shooting both on the Alexa.

Personally I prefer Dragon amongst all the formats but Alexa makes more sense for both of the movies.
Last commercial I shot in Spain, I shot it on Dragon and anamorphic, which is something that nobody does in Spain anymore because they are all in love with the Alexa Mini

Give me time and I might fall in love with the Alexa too

By the way, Phil, we might have some c-stands around

#68 Robin R Probyn

Robin R Probyn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1904 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tokyo

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

Ok thanks for the info.. best of luck sir..

#69 David Daniel Doherty

David Daniel Doherty
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dublin

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'm always here, send me what ya got! I've been very unlucky at grading stuff and making it look good on Vimeo. I have a beautiful 2k cinema projector which is color calibrated and if it looks good there, it usually looks like poop on Vimeo. So, I've given up trying to make things look good online. :shrug:

Yeah, Vimeo is pretty much rubbish these days, with their adaptive streaming.

For about a year though Ive been using these guys, they're the only site, it seems, that actually allow you to force HD. When I share a video, I steer well clear of Vimeo and always go to Iplayer. The quality is superb compared to YouTube and Vimeo.

I pay for membership, but they're doing first year free for newbies. I can't recommend them enough to be honest.

Here's some footage I shot on an old RED Scarlet

http://iplayerhd.com...f877bf6a7/share

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

CineTape

Wooden Camera