#1 Darrell Ayer

Darrell Ayer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

Do you need the extended capabilities of (the free version of) Resolve 10 to do Grading and Editing of HDSLR footage?  Looking at the program, it's robust hardware requirements are a bit daunting for the level of work I would need it do. I'm trying to get away with replacing my 7 year old macbook pro with a mac mini and loading up the ram...  Does anyone have any advice on this.  

#2 John Miguel King

John Miguel King
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • London, UK

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:24 AM

Resolve does all its maths with the graphic cards. It won't even start without a discrete GPU, whether ATI or Nvidia.

Also, DSLR footage is highly compressed in some variation of the h264 codec. Just the playback of this footage puts a massive strain on the computer's processor. So, yes, you do need some processing power in your system.

The minimum specs for a comfortable and productive experience are: core i7, 16 gb ram, discrete GPU with at least 2gb of dedicated ram.

If working with an Apple system, you're looking at either a 15" Retina Macbook or the iMac. The mini has no discrete GPU nor can it be expanded in any way.

Question: Do you need it to be a mac? Because the specs come considerably cheaper if going PC. You can build a beast for the cost of a new macbook.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11221 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

Because the specs come considerably cheaper if going PC. You can build a beast for the cost of a new macbook.

Seconded.

P

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Zylight

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab