Photo

Resume / Credits question. What to keep, what to delete?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gene Sung

Gene Sung
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

I'm re-doing my resume link now that I actually had a string of more legitimate network TV projects, as opposed to before where I listed anything out of desperation, LOL.

Right now I'm mainly getting paid work shooting TV show main-titles, broadcast promos and a few commercials - so mainly TV broadcast / promotion type stuff.

My questions are:

1) Should I list DP credits for Spec. spots? Since they are not "real" spots, do Specs count? Should I credit them as "Spec" or as a commercial under genre?

2) What about short films? I've DP'd some ultra-low budget short films in the last few years, should I keep those on even if they were ULB?

3) I've also done several corporate gigs. Should I list those?

4) What are the do's and don't(s) when it comes to credits?

Just trying to figure out what to keep and what to get rid of.

Thanks!

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

1. List stuff that potential employers have seen, can easily see, or have heard of. Network/broadcast promos would fall into this category. Also, any work for a well known brand, agency, director, recognizable actors, etc.

2. Work in the same genre that you are actively trying to get work in. If that's commercials, corporate, fashion, or narrative, then producers want to see that you've done those types of shoots before.

3. Anything that looks especially good, shows off your style, and what you can do. I would list a spec or short if the footage is really good and you like it so much that you put it in your reel. Otherwise, I woud leave it out unless you are trying to get more of that type of work. I would label them as 'spec commercial' so that there's no confusion.

Glidecam

Zylight

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Visual Products