New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

Hi All

I'm going to be shooting ECU macro shots of ink swirling around in a fishtank. I will be shooting in a studio with as much light as I need and want to be able to get below the tank as well as shooting from the side. I am thinking of using the T-Rex system and shooting on Zeiss Ultra Primes. I have assisted on the T-Rex many years ago so know that it is incredibly flexible and i think once mounted on a dolly this system will enable me to move around the fishtank with ease. My question is regarding the lenses. What is the magnification factor when using the T-Rex? How close will I be able to focus and which of Ultraprimes will best allow me to shoot ECU details of ink swirling within a 1' cubed tank?

regards

Ben

#2 Dom Jaeger

Dom Jaeger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts
  • Other
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

Hi Ben,

I don't think the T-Rex takes PL mount lenses like Ultra Primes (unless P&S have done something new I'm not aware of). It uses its own custom lenses (derived from Contax lenses mainly I think), or there are adapters available for still photography mounts like Canon EF and AF, Nikon, Leica M and R and Contax. 

With the T-Rex lenses you can get down to around 1:1 magnification, mostly that means the lens needs to be just about touching the subject. The custom macro doesn't focus that close, it approaches 1:1 at about 6 inches.

Be sure to test and decide whether you really need an advanced probe/periscope system for this sort of job. 

CineTape

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Zylight

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Pro 8mm

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

The Slider