#1 Steven Kan

Steven Kan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

Hello everyone, 

My name is Steven and i'm new to forums. I appreciate everyone that takes the time out of their busy schedule to help each other. I wanted to see if anyone can give me tips on how to achieve this look in the movie Hugo.  The scene is of Hugo while he's lying in bed, I love how the light wraps around Hugo's face, but can't figure out which modifiers or lights they used. I tried doing a few test and am struggling to create the mood of night time. I'm currently using 1x1 leds for testing and have access to a 24" lantern and a Kino Flo Diva-Lite. Any recommendations are welcome. Thank you 

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 9.51.25 AM.jpg

Edited by Steven Kan, 28 October 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#2 Stuart Allman

Stuart Allman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Diego, CA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Steven,

From what I've read Bob likes to use a bounce off of Muslin into a diffusion material (dunno what).  Considering your fixture size, you may want to try a book light configuration with various diffusion types and distances from your actor.  With the lights you have, you'll probably need a more efficient bounce material than Muslin.  You can see the general light direction Bob used from the shadows on the child's face.  Hope this helps.

Stuart

-------------------------

illuma.blogspot.com

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20083 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

The light is soft but not super soft, and it's being cut by some flags on the sides, particularly at the top of frame.  If I had the space, I'd probably shine something through a 6'x6' diffusion frame highish but to the frame left of the bed, maybe with a Light Tools egg crate on the 6x6 frame, but definitely some large floppies cutting the light, boxing it in.

On a smaller scale, I'd work closer with a 4'x4' diffusion frame or a very large Chimera bag with an egg crate, and then flags again to box in and cut the light.

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineTape

Abel Cine

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery