#1 John Reynolds

John Reynolds

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

I am seeking a practical bulb, like BCA, that is 4800K or higher and less than 250 any one have sany sources for this?

#2 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

I don't think they make a low wattage day light balanced practical bulb. I suppose they figure #1 daylight scenes don't need practicals turned on and #2 if you are shooting something like this then you probably are dealing with large amounts of day light - either the sun or HMI. so a high wattage bullb would suffice.

And yet I feel like I have seen 150W and 75W blue bulbs in my travels on some feature years ago...

Anyway, i checked my first addition of Harry Box's Set Lighting Technicians Handbook and on page 201 there are only two day light bulbs listed EBW @ 500W and BCA @ 250W. B & H don't have them. Niether does Barbizon.

I gaffed this thing a couple of weeks ago and the DP wanted a lower wattage blue bulb so we sent a PA to Home Depot to pick up a variety of these fancy new "True Light" bulbs that GE and the others are currently marketing as day light balanced. I have not had a chance to get a color temp reading off of them yet but we were shooting video and it looked pretty good to the eye. We actually had to dim them down a little bit so they would appear a touch warmer than the 1200 pars coming in through the window. They come in standard wattages.

good luck

f

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

CineTape