#1 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:32 AM

Hi , I'm a still photographer starting too shoot moving stuff . I've done 2 shorts on Mini DV , which is great but I wanna use film ( it's what I'm used to in my photography ) . I'm thinking of getting a 16mm Camera and have a play , maybe shoot a short . Tell me is a Krasnogorsk-3 a good place to start ? what are the pros and cons ? and can I use any M42 lens , even 35mm still lenses ( thay are almost giving them away here int the UK ) .

Thanks everyone .

Gareth Munden , London . UK .

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:54 AM

The K-3 is an excellent choice. It's not just a beginners camera, it has been used to shoot feature films. Spike Lee used the K-3 on one of his films.

It's very easy to use and comes with a decent zoom lens. There are a few tricks to loading you need to be aware of.

I have owned one for 10 years and although I rarely use it now, it has served me well on several shoots.

R.

#3 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:15 AM

The K-3 is an excellent choice.  It's not just a beginners camera, it has been used to shoot feature films.  Spike Lee used the K-3 on one of his films.

It's very easy to use and comes with a decent zoom lens.  There are a few tricks to loading you need to be aware of.

I have owned one for 10 years and although I rarely use it now, it has served me well on several shoots.

R.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Richard , is the camera complete manual ? I seems to have a light meter ( which is prob of not much use ) .

#4 Timothy Brown

Timothy Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Richard , is the camera complete manual ? I seems to have a light meter ( which is prob of not much use ) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you shoot stills if you don't use a light meter, or am I just too old fashioned?

Edited by tim_brown, 06 May 2005 - 10:22 AM.

#5 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

How do you shoot stills if you don't use a light meter, or am I just too old fashioned?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sometimes use a handheld meter , not an in build one or i just guess !!!! ( I'm always right but I have been a photographer for 15 years ) . But I hate auto cameras .

#6 Timothy Brown

Timothy Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:42 AM

Wish I were at that point. ;)

I looked at a K-3 but was not excited about the idea of winding it, so opted for a Scoopic. The K-3 that I played with did seem easy to handle and was light enough with a load of film, the viewfinder was clear and it seemed easy enough to work with. Just didn't want to deal with the winding mechanism.

My 2 cents.

-Tim

#7 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:20 AM

The K-3 does have a built in reflective light meter, but I never use it.

Any hand held light meter with a cine scale will work fine.

The wind up aspects of the K-3 are really only an issue for long shots, 20 seconds +.

The spring power is actually refreshing at times because one never needs to worry about batteries.

R.

#8 Marty Hamrick

Marty Hamrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oshawa, Ontario

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

I've used the K-3 once and was happy with the results.Still,I don't trust Russian technology unless it's been thoroughly gone through and overhauled.For the money with the same features I would go with a Bolex Rex,but that's just me.I do like the spinning mirror shutter though.

#9 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

Tell me is a Krasnogorsk-3 a good place to start ? what are the pros and cons ? and can I use any M42 lens , even 35mm still lenses ( thay are almost giving them away here int the UK ) .

Gareth Munden , London . UK .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you can use any M42 lens...which is great for S16mm...
The only problem is
You'll have a helluva hard time finding wide-angle lens for 16mm
Since most of the lens that's wide-angle on 35mm
Will be a bit too long in 16mm to constitute wide-angle.

Other than that the K3 is an excellent beginners camera
It's easy to work with an simple enough to fix...
You can even upgrade it--make it S16...
Add an electric motor (so you don't have to spring wind it)
Install a Nikon mount, etc...

The only thing you should know about the K3
It's an MOS camera so you won't be able to shoot anything with dialogue.
It's too noisy for that...
And the other thing is--it'll only take 100' rolls
Which amounts to about 3 minutes of footage...
If you want to do longer takes you'll need to get a camera that can take 400' loads

Good Luck

#10 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:34 PM

Rik , shame about the wide angle thing . I love using wides with people close-up ( not to wide ) what is say the standard lens for 16mm ( i.e. like 50mm on 35mm still ) ? is it arount the 26mm mark ? if so , a wide would be in the 12mm area which is very rare on M42 !!! 24mm is the widest you will find in most used stores in London . And I guess 12mm is near fisheye which are a waste of space !!!! ( not very sharp )

#11 robtags

robtags
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:10 PM

http://k3camera.com/k3/k3wideangle.stm

They have an 8mm lens available for $500. As well as some sample footage shot on it.

#12 Gareth Munden

Gareth Munden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London UK

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

http://k3camera.com/k3/k3wideangle.stm

They have an 8mm lens available for $500. As well as some sample footage shot on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks I'll check that out .

What I am looking forward to with M42 mount are all those old cheap lenses with there flares and stoff colours , there are so many old M42's out there .

#13 jeremy edge

jeremy edge
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

Check ebay or google "peleng 8mm" and "mc zenitar 16mm"
They can be had for way less than $500 ....the 8mm for a little over 200 and the 16 for about 135.

That should cover your wide angle needs.

They will cover super 16 which you can get by taking the camera apart and just filing the gate out. check out the k3camera.com site.Its a pain but its doable...I just did my second camera.

#14 robtags

robtags
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

They can be had for way less than $500 ....the 8mm for a little over 200 and the 16 for about 135.

That should cover your wide angle needs.

They will cover super 16 which you can get by taking the camera apart and just filing the gate out. check out the k3camera.com site.Its a pain but its doable...I just did my second camera.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you modified the K-3 gate yourself?? How difficult is it? Could you elaborate? A s-16 gate for the K-3 can be had for aroun $200 off of k3camer.com, but if I could do it myself that would be awesome.

I'm going to be buying a beginner 16mm cam and I've narrowed it down to the Canon Scoopic or K-3 I think, but the K-3 is sounding better and better every day.

#15 Rik Andino

Rik Andino
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Electrician
  • New York City

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:11 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THe Peleng 8mm lens is the same one they sell in NCS for $500

On special note about this lens:
It is a Wide Angle FISHEYE lens
And so will distort the image...
Since it's made for 35mm the distortion will not be as much in R16mm or S16mm
But there shall still be some distortion...
So you should be aware of this before purchasing the lens.

Eitherways
Good Luck

#16 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:08 AM

K3s are a crapshoot. Some run great and others don't. The auto feed mechanism does not work, so you need to load the film manually (not a big deal once you get used to it). They are prone to film scratching (thanks to the auto feed assembly) and you might need to operate on the camera to make the necessary mods and fix the problem. Trouble is, K3s don't always work right once you put them back together. Mine is a paperweight at the moment, and I doubt it will ever run again. I've taken it apart several times, and every time I put it back together and resolve the problem something else goes wrong. Nothing breaks: it just doesn't work right.

On the plus side, they are very rugged and comfortable to shoot with. If they jam, you can usually poke around the gears and get them running again (something you could never do with a Bolex). The internal light meter on mine didn't work, but I always use an incident meter anyways. I believe K3camera sells meter battery adapter kits for the K3 if you want to go that route.

As far as lenses are concerned, I was pretty happy with the stock zoom. I took some really sweet pictures with it, but it only goes down to 17mm (not very wide for 16). The Peleng is a fisheye, not a high quality wide angle. The samples I saw looked very distorted. I looked into slapping a good wide angle on the K3 (12mm or lower), but it would have cost triple the camera price at least. If you can find a used Pentax mount lens you might be in luck, but it would be in the super wide category and probably pricey (maybe not in the UK?).

If I were to buy a K3 today, I would try to find one that has already been modified (feed assembly removed) and successfully used by someone, as opposed to taking my chances with one that has been sitting in a warehouse in the Ukraine for however many years.

After spending a couple weeks battling with the broken K3, I ended up buying a Bolex Rex with 10mm lens, for about twice the price I paid for the K3. In addition to having a nice wide angle lens, it also has a longer run time after winding, a locking run button, and backwinding capability.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

The Slider