#1 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 November 2014 - 01:39 PM

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my cheap plastic Super 8 projector and was looking for opinions on the best ones.

I'm not even sure if such a thing is made, but I would love to get my hands on a 3-blade shutter (triple flash) Super 8 projector if such a thing exists.

Dave

#2 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 09 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

The Elmo ST-1200 has always been the top choice. I've owned quite a few projectors and that is the last one I bought maybe 5 yrs ago. What I like about it most is that it gives a brighter picture than most projectors because it uses a 150W bulb. It's one of the few S8 projectors i've owned that let my reversals live up to their full potential. 

#3 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2892 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:18 PM

If you can't stretch to a 1200, my ST-600 aka 180 is still going strong after 35 years.

#4 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone. I found the previous post asking the same question and the Elmo ST-1200 definitely nicely sounds like the favorite and a good projector.

I was almost hoping for something more like the pageant 250 I have... More manual feed and loop forming than these plastic auto looping units.

Also. Very interested in a 3 or even 5 blade shutter for optimum flicker reduction. Are there any Super 8 projectors with a 3 or 5 blade shutter?

#5 Jean-Louis Seguin

Jean-Louis Seguin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Other
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 09 November 2014 - 09:27 PM

99% of super8 projectors have a three blade shutter. Only telecine projectors designed to work at 24fps have a five blade shutter.

Jean-Louis

#6 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Ok... so, definitely looking for a Beaulieu 709 or Elmo ST-1200 (avoiding the unnecessary GS line).

Now, however, I am curious if there is a manual feed/setup/looping forming Super 8 projector of high quality.  I figure unlikely due to the amateur nature of the format.  But, I'm hoping there is a good quality projector out there, not unlike my Kodak Pageant 250 series.

#7 Rudy Velez Jr

Rudy Velez Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 14 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

What about Chignon projectors?

#8 Simon Wyss

Simon Wyss
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1633 posts
  • Other
  • Near Basel, Switzerland

Posted 15 November 2014 - 01:52 AM

Some manual threading Super-8 projectors:

• Noris Record 100
  • Eumig Mark S
  • Eumig Mark M, not so film friendly
  • Heurtier Stereo 42
  • Paillard-Bolex 18-5 L, limited
  • Hanimex (http://www.cinematog...showtopic=61060)
  • Gakken, toy
  • Plusmatic
  • Kodak Instamatic M 50, toy
  • Fumeo 9000 series

#9 Bengt Freden

Bengt Freden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:09 PM

I agree, Anthony,

The ELMO ST-1200 has been my most trusted Super-8 film projector since the early 80s. It just works and the only thing you have to do (with ten-year intervals) is to sometimes buy new drive belts (available on eBay). I also own the Beaulieu 708 stereo, but that is a more delicate machine, you have to watch it while running, as it sometimes loses the loops. It takes larger reels, though, up to 720 meters.

I have also recently bought an ELMO ST-1200 HD 2-track, cheaply off eBay, which I will renovate and equip with a fine new long zoom lens, the ELMO 1.2 25-50mm. If you have a separate balance track on your film, it can function as a sort of stereo projector.

All the best from Sweden, Bengt   B) 

#10 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2892 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:03 AM

It's just possible, if rather fiddly, to hand-thread the Elmos, the ST-600 at least. In practice it's easy to adjust the autoload so that it's reliable. Not reliable enough to leave alone, though. You'll always need a supply of leader and a CIR splicer.

Getting film striped is the problem now. A few of my stripes from the 80s have delaminated.

#11 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:18 PM

Yeah. The Beaulieu 708 and Elmo ST-1200 are the ones I'm currently watching. Sad the 708 is so damn expensive though.

#12 christophernigel

christophernigel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yeah. The Beaulieu 708 and Elmo ST-1200 are the ones I'm currently watching. Sad the 708 is so damn expensive though.

Just found A beaulieu 708 EL at a really good price ! that why I am looking for the manual in English ! can any one help ?

Ritter Battery

Serious Gear

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products