Nossair CHKERBOUBY
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student
  • CASABLANCA

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:09 AM

Hello everyone!

i juste watched "Big sur" for the first time and i have a question for Mr Mullen.

Can you tell me how did you light this scene and it's close ups, and the problem i have with this kind of scenes is the background does it have a light on it's own or it's just the fall off of the key.

thank you

Attached Images

• mullen2.png

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18790 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

I had a Chimera "pancake" lamp, I think with a 1K globe, over the table.  It's like a square, flatter version of a paper lantern but it's easier to have black teasers velcro'd to the sides to cut the spill.  I think I had two pancake lamps end to end to make a rectangle that covered the shape of the table.  Had to be high enough to get out of the mirror behind his head.

The room was small so I didn't light the walls separately, they were lit by the spill from overhead and any practical lamps along the walls.

For close-ups, I may have lowered the pancake lamps a little or floated an Opal frame of diffusion under them to slightly soften them more.

I do recall having a little Pepper or Dedolight with a blackwrap snoot for an eyelight in the close-ups, knocked down to a dim level.

http://www.bhphotovi...CFU-Tfgod5CcAcQ

Pro 8mm

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Technodolly

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies