New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

Hello

I'm going to try this film stock for the first time using a Beaulieu 1008xl in an interior setting that may be tricky for me to light properly.  I'm wondering if I can get the lighting to f4.5, would that generally be a decent exposure?  This is a great forum, by the way...I really appreciate how much people are willing to share information.

Thanks

Gary

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hello

I'm going to try this film stock for the first time using a Beaulieu 1008xl in an interior setting that may be tricky for me to light properly.  I'm wondering if I can get the lighting to f4.5, would that generally be a decent exposure?  This is a great forum, by the way...I really appreciate how much people are willing to share information.

Thanks

Gary

Speaking as someone who is literally in the middle of shooting interiors on 16mm 500T (we just wrapped for the day a few hours ago,) 7219 has nice latitude.  However, I've been rating the film at 2K because I want a grainy look, and I've been getting readings ranging from 2.8 to 5.6 with the low-light interiors I've been doing.  But I'm not sure how that would translate on the Super-8 stock.

What kind of lighting set-up are we talking about?

Edited by Bill DiPietra, 10 November 2014 - 12:07 AM.

#3 Mike Bao

Mike Bao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:03 AM

Remember,that Super-8 is a very small format so the DOF is pretty large, what is the reason to light for F4.5 specifically?

Here is a still of 500T shot wide open at night/late magic hour,it is def a wonderful stock

hZnGkx8.jpg

#4 Gary Gregerson

Gary Gregerson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 01:33 AM

I'm using a light kit from my cable access station!  They're tungsten, I'm not sure what size or wattage...

#5 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:35 AM

I'm using a light kit from my cable access station!  They're tungsten, I'm not sure what size or wattage...

They're probably fresnels or open-faced lights.  You should be able to get a decent stop between the film's ASA & the lights.

#6 Gary Gregerson

Gary Gregerson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

Yes they are fresnels!  Yeah I was hoping that amount of light would be sufficient...the last time I shot indoors was with Tri-X reversal and it was a little underexposed...thanks!

#7 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 13 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

As long as you have enough light it's all about carefully metering your subjects at that point.

CineTape

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Visual Products

Pro 8mm

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Zylight

Willys Widgets