8 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:46 PM

what would be a good camera for a student like myself to buy thats great for filming action sports

Edited by Mike Wazowski, 11 November 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#2 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2265 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:03 PM

What's your price range?

#3 Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

under $5000

#4 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2265 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

That should give you a lot of options.  Obviously, you'd want something with a high-speed shutter if you're shooting sports.  I think most decent digital cameras have pretty high shutter speeds these days, but others on this forum could point you down a more specific path.

#5 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:20 PM

What is 'a student like myself' like?

(you'll probably get better results telling us a bit more about where you're at and what you want out of a camera)

#6 Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:25 PM

diploma in screen and media.  i like to film motor cross, rally cars and fast paced action sports. 

#7 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2367 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:11 AM

Depends on if you need really good slow-mo. I don't know a single decent, non-MPEG based/Raw capturing/Interchangeable lens camera which has excellent slow-mo. Mostly all of the cameras which allow you to do over-cranking use MPEG codec's which are absolutely atrocious to edit.

I gave up trying to make slow-mo and simply learned how to tell stories instead… I use the Blackmagic Pocket cinema camera's and honestly, they aren't really designed for sports, but they work great. The rolling shutter effect isn't really bad and they have a more cinematic look, totally different then the "trying to be too sharp" DSLR's, of which I dislike tremendously. I also prefer the Blackmagic concept of shooting RAW and Pro Res. 

If you copy and paste the link in my signature below into a web browser, you can see some of the motocross stuff I've shot. Unfortunately I can't embed those links into this page. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell, 12 November 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#8 Sabyasachi Patra

Sabyasachi Patra
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New Delhi, India

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:52 AM

I have shot sports for broadcasters like HBO, am a big fan of Formula 1, but don't shoot motorsports for a living. So you need to examine my answer in that light.

Your choice of a camera system also depends what you want to do with the footage. Cameras come and go. They depreciate fast. So as a student you shouldn't be spending more money on cameras. It is better to spend less on camera and more on lenses. If I were a student, I would invest in a DSLR like a Canon 7D II which can shoot 60p at full HD and spend the rest of the money on a lens (either 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM plus 2x TC or a Canon EF 100-400 lens). 

#9 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

First thought regarding pans and fast cross frame motion is rolling shutter issues...

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Zylight

Abel Cine

Pro 8mm