#1 Aidan Gray

Aidan Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

I've been doing low-level/unpaid gaffing for about three years now and its to the point where I either need to get a full-time job or up my production level to work on paid productions. I don't own equipment packages as I usually rent from one of the rental houses that I have good reputations with so its hard for me to rent myself out with equipment. I've tried cold-calling a few production companies and have always gotten promise of work but never any follow up. 

Does anyone have any advice for finding work in a place other than NYC or LA? Any advice for someone trying to get into G&E full time? 

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2575 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:49 PM

There is plenty of G&E work in LA. It's the one job that is always necessary, but no-one wants to do. Don't expect to earn a huge amount. Non-union, low budget rates for a Swing G&E can be as low as $100 a day, although they can also be much better.

#3 Aidan Gray

Aidan Gray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:23 PM

Thanks for the reply Stuart. I'm based out of DC, so the jobs seem to be few and far between (which confuses me because... as you said, its the one job that always seems necessary, but no-one wants to do). The limited work I've been able to find has been between $200-400/day which I can't complain about, but these opportunities have been rare for me. 

Technodolly

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Pro 8mm

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Zylight

The Slider

Abel Cine