Shooting Full Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FilmmakerJack

FilmmakerJack
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:19 PM

Hey, I'm going to be filmming a short. I am very tied into a 16:9 aspect ratio. However, because of the camera, I will either have to leave the shot full screen, or crop the picture. As of right now, I'm going to shoot full screen because it's so much easier to compose the shots. It's very difficult to "eye" a 16:9 shot on full screen territory. The short calls for a lot of running shots, kind of 24 style. So you can see how eyeing out the composition would be tough. Does anyone have any input on whether I should just stay in full screen, or any techniques for cropping?

#2 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 May 2005 - 06:20 PM

I am facing this same dielemma, and have pretty much resolved in my mind to crop the image, as the nature of the script very much lends itself to a 1.66:1 widescreen aspect ratio. I have done this for many of my DV shorts, so I don't expect it to be hard to find the composition.

#3 Jeff Tanner

Jeff Tanner
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Jackson, Mississippi, USA

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:57 AM

I find it pretty easy to mask the video assist monitor to 16x9 with black paper tape. This will allow you to see the difference in the viewfinder and the 16x9 mask with just a glance at the monitor. After a short while you will become comfortable framing through the viewfinder allowing for the 16x9 cropping.

Of course the best option would be to use a Super 16 camera with the proper groundglass markings but I know how it goes...sometimes you just have to play with the hand you're given.

Respectfully,

Jeff Tanner

#4 robtags

robtags
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

What if you don't have a video assist? Any suggestions?

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineTape

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc