Jesse Carver

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

Hello,

I'm working as a gaffer for a student film this January. The story is a drama/thriller that follows a man who dies and becomes trapped in a sort of limbo state of being. It's dark. It's fantasy. Our budget is very modest, but I'm very interested in using half hampshire on the windows for all day interior scenes - I love the blur it gives. However, those scenes make up only 30% of the film and the rest is night interiors. I'm wondering, can hampshire be used on windows at night to any great effect? 

I've looked into using dirty water and a spray bottle, but I imagine it will lack what the hampshire will deliver. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

Half Hampshire on windows is great to get a defocused view, if it's uninteresting when sharp.  At night, it's less useful because your depth of field is already shallow and there isn't much view, at which point the gel on the windows may just create some milkiness on the glass since the interior is brighter than the exterior.  You may also see gel rippling if the gel isn't tight.  But I used it at night on some scenes in "Extant" where I had bamboo plants right next to to the windows, creating more of an abstract blurred effect as the bamboo swayed in the wind.  However, in many cases, you may want to remove it for the night scenes.  The trouble with the diffusion on the glass is that anything distant from the windows is more or less erased, what's interesting are things close to the glass that get blurred by the Hampshire.

#3 Jesse Carver

Jesse Carver

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Gaffer

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:33 PM

Thank you, David! I greatly appreciate your words.  

CineTape

Abel Cine

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

The Slider