2 camera commercial shoot

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Y.M.Poursohi

Y.M.Poursohi
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hello

I just worked on a job, 2 day commercial shoot in Manhattan and it was done with a 2 camera set up (a Panavision as A, and a Moviecam as B-camera/steadicam set up). This was not any exterior stuff or action sequences needing coverage. It was in fact all interiors, shot in an office space. I realized it was a creative decision made by the director to shoot from 2 angles at the same time, plus also a couple of steadicam shots (allowing B-cam to act as stedaicam. In the past two years I have worked on maybe one commercial shoot with B-camera and a 2nd Unit shooting coverage which was an outdoors shoot, so I was surprised on this job. Most jobs that I have seen, are one camera on a Straight shooter or a dolly. Even on a big Michael Bay spot, they rolled one camera.

From what I understand this helped in the budget besides the creative decision. being a union job in NY, the company avoided Overtime for the crew, we had camera wrap after less than 10 hours a day for the 2-day shoot (also thanks to an amazing A.D), teh early wrap seemed surprising to me (I am used to 11-13 hour shoot days, that means 16-18 hours for the production dept).
Anyway I wanted to know what situations usually constitute a 2 camera set up besides money and maybe the director wanting coverage. Do agency and clients prefer looking at 2 simultaneous video assist feeds in the video village, or is it usually the director asking the D.P for parallel coverage.

Just Wondering
Y

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Glidecam

Opal

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS