#1 Marc-Andr

Marc-Andr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've followed this forum for quite a bit now and I decided to create an account finally. My name is Mark, I live in montreal. I have a little question. Let's say the actor turns the lamp on, is there a way to make the fresnel carrying the practical turn on at the same time automatically or you need someone to turn the switch of the fresnel at the same time manually?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

Generally the low-tech approach is that you'd run the power for the practical lamp to the same distro box or power strip that the additional movie lamp is on so, an electrician can throw the switch on the box when he sees the actor touch the switch on the practical and thus have both lamps come on together.  It helps when the actor covers the switch with his palm or hand so that the camera can't see the actual fingers turning the switch, and it helps if the actor doesn't do it too quickly.

On a stage set, a wall switch or outlet can be patched / ganged together at the dimmer board with another line so that when the actor throws the actual switch, it also turns on another circuit with the movie lamp on it.  Otherwise, on location, it's sometimes better to disable the wall switch so that it doesn't do anything and let the electrician turn on the practical and lamps when he sees the actor touch the wall switch, so the camera can see the switch go from the on to the off position.

Having the actor turn on a real lamp and have an electrician turn on an additional lamp at the same time is possible if you are willing to do multiple takes if the timing is off.

#3 Marc-Andr

Marc-Andr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

Thank you very much for the answer!  I was thinking about the last option but the first one is so much more practical, i'll try it. 

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

The Slider

Visual Products

Zylight

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

CineTape