#1 Albion Hockney

Albion Hockney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:32 PM

Anyone have any knowledege on what cars (makes/models) don't tint the windows so green or is it just across the board?

anyone have a gel combo to ease it or something they do? .....I shot something recently unaware of it and we are just going to time it out but it's pretty bad!

#2 John E Clark

John E Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Other
  • San Diego

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

Anyone have any knowledege on what cars (makes/models) don't tint the windows so green or is it just across the board?

anyone have a gel combo to ease it or something they do? .....I shot something recently unaware of it and we are just going to time it out but it's pretty bad!

Just a random guess... car 'safety' glass is a composite of two glass surfaces with a plastic film in between. The 'green' may be from the plastic material that is used, or the other ingredients of the glass mix to make it more resilient to impact.

The same is true for other 'safety' glass such as shower doors, which have a 'greenish' cast as well as 'bullet proof' glass cash windows.

Edited by John E Clark, 02 January 2015 - 07:41 PM.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

Maybe but ordinary glass contains ferris oxide which gives it a greenish tint, visible the thicker the glass gets. There are ways to reduce or eliminate the green but probably add to the cost of the glass.

#4 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2575 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

In the past, I've dealt with this issue by adjusting the Green/Magenta Tint in camera. It doesn't always work, but it's a good place to start.

#5 Albion Hockney

Albion Hockney
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:50 PM

I was more so curious if people were aware of car brands that have less green in the glass. The thing I did recently the car windows were super green. It was a hyundai mid size suv

#6 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2575 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

I think all cars suffer from this problem. The angle of incidence can make it worse, or better, as can the surroundings.

A pet hate of mine is the tinted visor strip at the top of many windshields. You can guarantee that the light will always hit it at precisely the right angle to cast a green glow on the talent.

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Pro 8mm

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam