7 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

I shot a pilot for a VH1 series called "Hindsight" in Atlanta a year ago, which airs tonight.  The series was shot by Mark Doering-Powell, who probably reshot about 1/4 of the pilot once they went into production due to the typical changes they make.

Alexa with Angenieux zooms.  It takes place in the present and in the past - for the past scenes, I used a 1/4 Black ProMist for a lot of it.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

Nice! What time does it air?

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:09 PM

Just aired, 10-11pm.

#4 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 720 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

So I stopped it after about 20 minutes when I realized this is something my wife would like.  And since we don't have a single show in common, I figured this could be a good one we can enjoy together. :)

What I saw so far looked great.  I really like the color contrast of some of the scenes.  Like the part where the two friends are puking in an alley in a flash back.  Great work as usual.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

My hotel room just had a crappy, fuzzy, compressed standard-def broadcast, it was pretty painful to watch...

#6 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 720 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

It looked really clean and slick on my HDTV.  Quite lovely.  

#7 Matthew Padraic Barr

Matthew Padraic Barr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

I shot a pilot for a VH1 series called "Hindsight" in Atlanta a year ago, which airs tonight.  The series was shot by Mark Doering-Powell, who probably reshot about 1/4 of the pilot once they went into production due to the typical changes they make.

Alexa with Angenieux zooms.  It takes place in the present and in the past - for the past scenes, I used a 1/4 Black ProMist for a lot of it.

I just saw a re-run of the show, and I really like the use of the Black ProMist for the past scenes.

Did you find you needed to vary the intensity of the Black ProMist from WS to CU? Or did you use 1/4 the whole time?

#8 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

I think I used a 1/4 Black ProMist for all of the past, wide shots included, but in my case, we were in small locations so there weren't a lot of wide shots, and any NYC establishing shots were done later by Michael Doering-Powell when it went to series and I don't know what he did.  I did shoot one scene between the daughter (wrapped in a towel) and the mother while sitting on a bed in daytime with a homemade net filter I have instead of the Black ProMist, mainly because that net filter is so flattering to skin.  Plus in the scene she gives her a jeweled necklace and I knew that the net filter would give me some nice kicks off of the jewelry.

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Pro 8mm

CineLab

Technodolly

Zylight

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Glidecam

Visual Products