Is the new 64T new or is it EPY?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SkipA

SkipA
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

John P.,

I posted this in that longer thread that Alex started, but I'm reposting to make it more visible, plus to add some additional info I've heard. The new rumour is that the film stock number is 7280. Any info on that?

My previous question...

John P., is the new Super 8 64T film really the same as EPY? I just don't see how it can be.

I shoot EPY in 4x5 and 8x10, and I would never describe it as "super-saturated" as Kodak describes the new 64T film for Super 8. I'd call it color faithful and realistic, perhaps. It is a lovely film, for sure. Unless EPY is being reformulated for Super 8 projection, I simply can't see it being described as "super-saturated". Fuji Velvia 50 is super-saturated. Kodak E100VS is super-saturated. Heck, even Fuji RTP II is more saturated than EPY. I'd hate to see any change to EPY.

If it is EPY, then is it still a 3200K film in its S8 incarnation? Will we need an 85B filter instead of an 85 for shooting in daylight?

#2 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

There's already 7285 (essentially E100VS) for super saturation, why NOT EPY for this one really ?

85 vs 85B is a printer point difference if that, not significant IMO.

-Sam

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:34 AM

Also, one person's idea of a saturated image is not another's. And a slide film that is considered normal in saturation today would have been considered super-saturated forty years ago.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:30 PM

Yes, this is the same film sold in 35mm slide format as KODAK EKTACHROME 64T Professional Film (EPY):

http://www.kodak.com...s/e130/e130.pdf

The motion-picture version will be known as KODAK EKTACHROME 64T Color Reversal Film 7280. If any formulation "tweeks" are needed, I suspect they will be only to optimize performance in Super-8 cameras, and not change "look".

You can shoot a few rolls as slides now. As SkipA writes:

I'd call it color faithful and realistic, perhaps. It is a lovely film, for sure.

#5 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

The spectral-dye-density curves are the same as 100D.. the spectral-sensitivity curves are the same for yellow, but only .5 lower for the magenta and cyan layer.. tungston balanced though. Is the grain finer than 100D? if so, then goodbye K-40, hello E-6!!!!!! I've compared K-40 to 100D in 16mm, K-40 does not hold a candle.. hopefuly this holds constant for 64T.

#6 Bob Last

Bob Last
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • San Jose, CA and Philippines

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

The motion-picture version will be known as KODAK EKTACHROME 64T Color Reversal Film 7280.  If any formulation "tweeks" are needed, I suspect they will be only to optimize performance in Super-8 cameras, and not change "look".

When you mean performance, is it the speed or the grain?

Will it change the RMS value to 9 similar as K40? As I understand, curent EPY 64T has RMS of 11?

#7 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

When you mean performance, is it the speed or the grain?

Will it change the RMS value to 9 similar as K40?  As I understand, curent EPY 64T has RMS of 11?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Performance" is physical transport characteristics like noise, steadiness, etc.

Grain, sharpness, color, and tone scale will be like current 35mm EPY. RMS Granularity of 9 and 11 are both classified as "very fine" grain.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Opal

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport