#1 Ger Leonard

Ger Leonard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Director
  • dublin, ireland

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:30 AM

I'd appreciate learning more about the stock and chemical processing used in The Return.

Andrei Zvyagintsev's masterful debut THE RETURN, photographed by Mikhail Krichman, has to be one the most exquisitly composed and lit films of the last few years, if not of all time.
"The Film of the film" documentary on the dvd is extremely enlightening and moving as all of those involved in the film clearly felt deeply about what they were trying to achieve.
The film has a religious luminousity similar to NÎstor Almendros's magic-hour cinematography in Days of Heaven. The return was shot in an area of northern russia that experiences 24hr sunlight.. In an interview the director explained that "For our color solution, in search of a common language, we used examples from movies and painting. Finally, Mikhail suggested a chemical process of film development that allowed fading colors to such an extent as to make a picture in sharp contrast and as close to monochromatic as you can see in pictures by Vermeer and Rembrandt. "

Does anyone know what chemical process they could have used or which film stock?
Any information would be useful...cheers

Another film that I would love to learn more about is the non dialogue hungarian film HUKKLE by Gyorgy Palfi...A dream job for any DOP..PS. very difficult to get on DVD but possible through www.netpiac.hu

#2 Jack Price

Jack Price

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

Hi shelter 1,

The Return was shot on 5248 and 5277, on Arri BL, pos Arri 3 with a skinny shutter for the opening title track and looks like super 35. Shot with ziess 25mm, 35mm, 18mm and it looks like ENR which is a process Storaro invented done by technicolour (in the U.k). It is a percentage bleach by pass, I say this because it looks too suble to have been a full bleach by pass.

If your are testing bleach by pass yourself, under expose by 1 stop. I haven't tryed ENR yet. What a great looking film and a beautiful story.

Cheers Jack

#3 Ger Leonard

Ger Leonard
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Director
  • dublin, ireland

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:06 AM

Cheers jack... where did you get that information on The Return?

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Opal

Visual Products

Tai Audio