Andre Valune
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hi guys - 

When you fly with lighting equipment, do you usually pull out bulbs/UV filters?  I've been flying with a pair of Joker 800s and (knock on wood) have been fine with the bulbs so far, but notice that the UV filter has cracked a bit, even though I'm wrapping the lights in foam in additional to the hard flight cases they come in.  Am I tempting fate, or is leaving the lights built when flying standard practice?

#2 robert duke

robert duke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Grip
  • southeast USA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

The UV filter is probably Thermo shock, although handling can definitely cause that as well.  I have usually traveled with them built.  I try to inspect before and after asap to file insurance with the carrier.  I ve had minor luck in getting things covered.  Usually production insurance picks it up.  I hate saying it but it can really just be the cost of doing business. 

You can go the extra step of pulling the lamp and packaging separate, like 12k/18ks but for the smaller lamp you are putting more stress on it by just removing it and installing it than it would get in travel.  Finger prints are bad.

#3 Ed David

Ed David
  • Sustaining Members
  • 30 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

always take out the bulb and travel with it in the carry on - and keep your bulbs in small pelican cases - I have lost so many joker bulbs

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Tai Audio

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks