Photo

Film Stock Preference for Sunny vs. Overcast Daylight Exteriors?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Karl Lee

Karl Lee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Other

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:52 PM

A while back...I believe it was in an InCamera article from Kodak...a cinematographer discussed his preferences in selecting a film stock for shooting daylight exteriors.  If I recall correctly, I think he mentioned that he preferred 50D when filming in direct sunlight, while he preferred 200T or 250D when filming overcast exteriors with more diffuse lighting.  I don't believe the reasoning was simply based on using a faster or slower stock based on ambient lighting, but rather because of his opinion that in terms of grain structure and overall appearance, he believed that 200T and 250D outperformed 50D under cloudy conditions, and vice versa for sunny exteriors.

That said, do you happen to have any film stock preferences for filming daylight exteriors under sunny vs. overcast conditions?    

#2 David Cunningham

David Cunningham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

My experience with 50D in shade is actually very good. The detail it picks up in the darkest shadows while still producing a clear image in the brightest highlights, is amazing. I'm talking about 16mm and 8mm though where grain pattern and size is more important than 35mm. The grain is so fine in 200T and 250D in 35mm that it's not really a major advantage to use 50D in 35mm except in very bright sun when you want a larger appeture to keep your depth of field shallow.

Abel Cine

The Slider

Glidecam

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Pro 8mm

Technodolly

Zylight

CineTape