Yash Lucid
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • South Africa

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

Hi forum.

We all know that there are now 1000x more "drones" in the air like the Phantom's than ever before, and I am well aware of noobs who buy it just for fun and then risk crashing into other people... These should be used with care because there is far more responsibility in your hands. WITH THAT OUT THE WAY, HERE IS MY POST:

Where can I find tutorials regarding aerial cinematography and techniques? I want to learn the art of shots like "the reveal", orbiting shots, best focal lengths for shooting a car on the highway versus lenses for filming skyscrapers and foreground objects... etc etc.

I am looking for something on the level of the Hollywood camera works tutorials.

Thanks

#2 John Gore

John Gore

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • South Africa

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:20 AM

Hi Yash

Nothing beats experience... like experience itself.

Drones are still quite new, just a few years now, and everyone is still learning how best to use these tools to achieve not just "eye in the sky" type shots but also to tell stories and evoke emotion, etc.

We have hundreds of days filming experience with drones in the film industry, focused on features and commercials, but I would not claim to know everything.   Working with different directors and DOP's brings new ideas and techniques to the fore all the time.

Generally working with an experienced operator will give you the best results, as he will work along with the director and DoP to create the shot that best fits the story.

#3 Yash Lucid

Yash Lucid
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • South Africa

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:04 AM

Thanks John.

What I'm looking for are some artistic ground rules so I can better direct the pilot.

We have come up with some basic terminology like flying an arc, pivoting around a point of interest, a reveal shot (like flying over water and then tilting up to reveal a skyline), so I'm just looking for some more "official terms" and techniques that are used by Hollywood professionals

#4 John Gore

John Gore

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other
  • South Africa

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:02 PM

Fair enough.  Would love to assist in creating something like that for distribution to up and coming drone operators.

Now, just to find the time. :)

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Visual Products

Pro 8mm

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Zylight

Glidecam

Technodolly

CineTape