84 replies to this topic

#81 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:04 PM

I shot with a closed-down shutter for the accident, and most shots were also slow-motion, just because we see the crash a couple of times in the movie, as he remembers it, and we wanted the editor to have the choice of the images being normal-speed or slowed-down.

Probably the most amount of work for the shortest amount of screen time.

#82 joshua gallegos

joshua gallegos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:30 PM

Saw the new trailer for 'The Love Witch' and it brought me back to the time when I saw 'How To Steal A Million' by William Wyler! It has the same feel and lighting of a color MGM movie from the 1960s, also mixed with way color was used in certain Vincent Price movies like The Abominable Dr. Phibes. Would you categorize it as a 'grindhouse' film? Blood and Black Lace also came to mind, it's a very unique look! Loved it. 

#83 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Partly by the nature of being a low-budget movie (i.e. it is hard to copy an expensive studio movie too closely), and partly by design, it visually straddles the line between glossy Hollywood studio fare and 60's B-movies and horror films coming from the U.K. and Europe.  We looked at all sorts of movies from Hitchcock, Bunuel, Pasolini, Hammer horror, etc. though our main model for lighting was "The Birds" and "Marnie".

#84 joshua gallegos

joshua gallegos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

I was watching her films on vimeo and she reminds me of Bob Downey who made some pretty outrageous films! She has a wicked sense of humor, I think she's going to become one of my favorites. And she kind of looks like Tura Satana, she's hot! I loved this scene so much, I have to rent 'Viva'. 

#85 joshua gallegos

joshua gallegos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

I used to review my favorite Grindhouse movies, was amazed at the authenticity. I found my old profile, brings old memories. Back when I was burning with movie passion. It's great that there's variety, I hate that all major hollywood movies look the same, there has to be more unique films out there. http://www.grindhous.../User:Biohazard  I remember watching George A. Romero films, and he was one of the most creative minds in the independent scene, wish there were more filmmakers like that who are completely audacious. 

Technodolly

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Opal

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab