7 replies to this topic

#1 Benjamin Lamb

Benjamin Lamb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

Sometimes in bts videos, I have seen what I believe are members of the camera crew (camera assistants) with an earphone in one ear...anybody know what these are used for? Is this used so the camera crew can communicate with each other? How common is this? Thanks.

#2 Giray Izcan

Giray Izcan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:49 PM

It is precisely for communication. I have pretty never have been on a set where you don't have to have one.

#3 Benjamin Lamb

Benjamin Lamb
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:07 PM

Thanks. Is it only the camera crew that wears them, or do other crew members where them as well? I don't think I've ever seen a DP wear them. Are they basically just used as walkie-talkies?

#4 Paul Salmons

Paul Salmons
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:36 AM

Usually it's the entire below the line crew. Director sometimes wears one (not usually) and the DP sometimes wears one. 

#5 Hal Long

Hal Long

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

On most crews, all grip, electric and art/props will wear them. Different channels for different teams.  As DP, I have mine on me always, but sometimes it's out when a particular channel gets busy and I have a different conversation going on with talent, a director or client. 

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18788 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

I know there are some DP's like Robert Richardson who always have a walkie/headphone/mic set-up on so they can communicate with the gaffer, key grip, and AC (he usually operates and is sometimes up on a crane, so this makes sense.)

I haven't gotten into that habit except for an occasional shot, like when I'm on a camera car and the operator and AC are on the process trailer.  I tried early on to whisper into an operator's earpiece to correct the framing, only to find that he'd made it worse -- I'd say "put her more frame left" and he'd think I told him to pan left, which is the opposite.  Anyway, I find it a bit of a distraction during a take to be dealing with a walkie-talkie, and during a set-up, I have all of the keys in earshot so I don't need it.  Besides, most people on set during a take have to turn their walkies off or way down anyway, so trying to use one then is asking for trouble.

#7 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1232 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

There are two types of communications. Plain old walkie talkies. Most people wear surveillance mics and earpieces with them, and the type Richardson uses that David mentioned where it is a two way communication device like a head set with a mic out in front. You can talk to all your keys at once instead of channel surfing on a walkie. That type is a pain but great for live shots or where communication is needed during a take.

You just can't forget to self edit your speech or you could say something embarrassing.

Best

Tim

#8 Kemalettin Sert

Kemalettin Sert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • Istanbul

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

I know there are some DP's like Robert Richardson who always have a walkie/headphone/mic set-up on so they can communicate with the gaffer, key grip, and AC (he usually operates and is sometimes up on a crane, so this makes sense.)

I haven't gotten into that habit except for an occasional shot, like when I'm on a camera car and the operator and AC are on the process trailer.  I tried early on to whisper into an operator's earpiece to correct the framing, only to find that he'd made it worse -- I'd say "put her more frame left" and he'd think I told him to pan left, which is the opposite.  Anyway, I find it a bit of a distraction during a take to be dealing with a walkie-talkie, and during a set-up, I have all of the keys in earshot so I don't need it.  Besides, most people on set during a take have to turn their walkies off or way down anyway, so trying to use one then is asking for trouble.

came here to say Bob Richardson.Also i saw chivo wearing headphone/mic on birdman bts.

CineLab

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Zylight

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery