5 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Taylor

Josh Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

Is anyone here a member at findfilmwork.com? 

I am really curious if a 1st AC can get work from the site. Do you just get the production email or phone and hit them up and ask about if they are hiring (in basic terms)?

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1514 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

Is anyone here a member at findfilmwork.com? 

I am really curious if a 1st AC can get work from the site. Do you just get the production email or phone and hit them up and ask about if they are hiring (in basic terms)?

Most work for anyone is going to come from personal recommendations.  And I'd avoid the phrase "hit them up" and go with the more professional, "contact them."  But that's just me.

#3 Josh Taylor

Josh Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

How does someone make more contacts? I understand a lot of the work is from recommendations and people like to work with people they like and etc. But if you only have so many contacts, how do you make more?

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11234 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

This is why highly selective industries are often so nepotistic, and why being a pleasant, likeable person is so key (clearly, I'm doomed).

#5 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Melbourne, Australia

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

You've got to hustle. Meet people for coffee, volunteer on projects if you have to - put yourself out there and impress people.

A pure meritocracy would be a wonderful thing, but it doesn't exist, so work with the system rather than railing against it.

#6 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

If you live in a remote area BTL is good to find out if anything is coming to a town near you.  Then you could find work as an additional P.A.  Find someone with a radio and ask for the key P.A. and see if they could use any extra hands.  Long shot but it has worked for some people I know.

Once on the crew you can potentially network with some set techs and try to make some connections there.   I've never tried to get work as anything but a DP which is totally different so I'm not an expert  but these are just things I've heard from others.  It's much easier if you live in a city where there's constant production because you are more likely to meet people in the business and get referrals.  

There's also the rental house / production company route which is to just google companies in your area and rental houses and look for work that way.  You're bound to run into people who are connected in some way to entertainment in film and tv.  Hope that helps.

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Pro 8mm