15 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

I've been getting my dailies for my short film done by FotoKem and I plan to do a supervised 2K scan of the conformed negative when it's done.

I'm located in New York City, so I'd like to do the post-work with DuArt.  Not only are they local, but I've been dealing with them for some time, now.  DuArt closed up its film processing facilities awhile ago, but I always prefer to have at least a 16mm answer print that I can project if I need/want to.  So here's my question...

Is there some way DuArt would be able to output a digital timing strip (if such a thing even exists) that I would then be able to send to FotoKem to create an answer print?  Or would the gamma most likely be off due to the fact that I'm dealing with two different mediums?

Obviously, I'm trying to avoid flying out to Burbank simply to supervise the transfer.  I've e-mailed DuArt about this, but any responses/experiences/suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

#2 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

I know Cinelab does Arrilaser printing. Would it be easier to work with them for your DI? 

#3 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2369 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

I assume this is a 16mm film and your master will be a 2k DCP right? 

Honestly, I wouldn't cut the negative. I'd simply telecine everything, cut digitally, then go back and scan selects in 2k. 

Take those 2k Raw scan's and conform them with DaVinci, which you can do at home since DaVinci is free today. 

Then all you need to do is find someone with a DI suite locally who can take your media and do color. 

Export as DPX and drop it off to get a scan back to film if you want a film-out. This way if you run into money, you can get a nice 35mm scan back to film! :) 

From my experience, the photochemical timing strip's only work with film printers unfortunately. I've done a lot of restoration and the films I've restored had those strips and everyone at the labs ignored them. 

#4 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:05 PM

I assume this is a 16mm film and your master will be a 2k DCP right? 

Honestly, I wouldn't cut the negative. I'd simply telecine everything, cut digitally, then go back and scan selects in 2k. 

Take those 2k Raw scan's and conform them with DaVinci, which you can do at home since DaVinci is free today. 

Then all you need to do is find someone with a DI suite locally who can take your media and do color. 

Export as DPX and drop it off to get a scan back to film if you want a film-out. This way if you run into money, you can get a nice 35mm scan back to film! :)

From my experience, the photochemical timing strip's only work with film printers unfortunately. I've done a lot of restoration and the films I've restored had those strips and everyone at the labs ignored them. 

Interesting points.  I see that coming probably for my next project, but I decided to go the analog route one more time.  Plus, all of my dailies are 16mm film prints, so I kind of made that choice before I shot anything.

Wanna give my Steenbeck at least one last workout.

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Are you still cutting mag film?

#6 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

Are you still cutting mag film?

Yup.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question -- you want to be able to send the printer timing lights from NYC to Burbank and have them strike a timed answer print?  Or are you asking if you could digitally time in NYC and have those corrections applied in Burbank to the 2K digital scan?

#8 Tyler Purcell

Tyler Purcell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2369 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:05 PM

Interesting points.  I see that coming probably for my next project, but I decided to go the analog route one more time.  Plus, all of my dailies are 16mm film prints, so I kind of made that choice before I shot anything.

Wanna give my Steenbeck at least one last workout.

Very exciting! Didn't know you had the equipment to cut film. 

So you're problem really lies with the photochemical color correction more then anything else. 

Have you talked with Cinelab? I know they have the equipment, if you're willing to make the trek. 

Once colored photochemically, you can simply scan the internegative and do some touch-up work in DaVinci. 

#9 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question -- you want to be able to send the printer timing lights from NYC to Burbank and have them strike a timed answer print?  Or are you asking if you could digitally time in NYC and have those corrections applied in Burbank to the 2K digital scan?

Hey David - yeah, it's a weird query and I really wasn't sure if it was even possible.  I wanted to be able to do a 2K scan of my conformed negative, output to HD video here in NYC.  I was wondering if there was any ability to save & send all the timing tweaks I would have done with DuArt to FotoKem so that they could make a 16mm answer print.  But I'm gathering that it's not really a viable option.

#10 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Very exciting! Didn't know you had the equipment to cut film. 

So you're problem really lies with the photochemical color correction more then anything else. 

Have you talked with Cinelab? I know they have the equipment, if you're willing to make the trek. 

Once colored photochemically, you can simply scan the internegative and do some touch-up work in DaVinci. 

Yeah, I have the whole nine-yards.  Just bought some rewinds off of ebay the other day.  I had all this stuff before Sandy flooded my basement and it's nice to be set up again. 

I haven't really looked into Cinelab, but I definitely will.

#11 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 18789 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

At best, you could send the color-corrected HD version to Burbank and tell them to try and time the print to match, knowing that they can't do gamma corrections, but you'd still have to watch the print at FotoKem and make your notes for a final answer print.

#12 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

At best, you could send the color-corrected HD version to Burbank and tell them to try and time the print to match, knowing that they can't do gamma corrections, but you'd still have to watch the print at FotoKem and make your notes for a final answer print.

Okay, that's pretty much what I thought.  I may just have to bite the bullet and head to Burbank to get everything done at FotoKem.  In the long run, it may wind up being easier.

Thanks everyone.

#13 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:13 AM

Yup.

I wish my 1600 had more to do than the odd bit of archive work.

#14 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

So back to this...I just got an e-mail from DuArt telling me they do not have a 2K scanner.  HD 1920x1080 is what they say they can handle.  I just find that really weird considering they are now solely a post-house.

#15 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Not to be shoving Cinelab down your throat, but considering they're a couple-hundred miles from NYC and do both high-res scanning and printing, it seems to be a great alternative, no? 

Also though I haven't used them, but you might also want to look into Metropolis if you want something local. They do great work from what I've seen/heard. They also definitely do high-resolution scans. 

#16 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

Not to be shoving Cinelab down your throat, but considering they're a couple-hundred miles from NYC and do both high-res scanning and printing, it seems to be a great alternative, no? 

Also though I haven't used them, but you might also want to look into Metropolis if you want something local. They do great work from what I've seen/heard. They also definitely do high-resolution scans. 

Yeah, a post-house switch is definitely going to happen.  Sadly, I'm really not impressed with the few NYC labs that are left.

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Pro 8mm

The Slider

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Zylight

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly