Something I couldn't find in the archives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cruz

cruz
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:07 AM

I have a really 'enormous' problem I was given a task to light a sea to be more exact, I have to set the lights for windsurfing competition which will take place in night time. I have to lit a square about 300 yards X 300 yards. I have a budget so it won't be a student prod, My first guess was to place few arru 18k tungsten lamps on towers,and since this event takes place in some sort of bay and I want to avoid lightning from the front I decided that side lightning would be de best, I'll put all lights to flood pos. and have a feelin' I shouldn't use any diffusors, silk etc. What are your suggestions?

#2 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:33 AM

Won't that attract sharks?

#3 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

I have a really 'enormous' problem I was given a task to light a sea to be more exact, I have to set the lights for windsurfing competition which will take place in night time. I have to lit a square about 300 yards X 300 yards. I have a budget so it won't be a student prod, My first guess was to place few arru 18k tungsten lamps on towers,and  since this event takes place in some sort of bay  and I want to avoid lightning from the front I decided that side lightning would be de best, I'll put all lights to flood pos. and have a feelin' I shouldn't use any diffusors, silk etc. What are your suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can take your cue from the lighting used for any sporting event held on a large field at night (e.g. soccer):

http://www.cameragui.../sch_rookie.htm

Since much of this story takes place on baseball fields and in stadiums, capturing the audience, the condition and class of the field was paramount to the story. "Our basic plan was to find Minor League baseball stadiums with decent lighting and get rid of any blue that was too much in the timing,"  Schwartzman explains. "For most of the shots we used Kodak's 5279 without the 85 filter because we needed the stop in case we wanted to over crank, and I knew Bob Kiser would be able to time the blue out later."

http://www.iesna.org...ves/2002_07.pdf

http://www.hamaspo.c...m/english/site/

http://www.sportssho....html?tid=14579

#4 Francisco Valdez

Francisco Valdez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York / Santo Domingo

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:16 PM

If lighting from a low angle, I would try not to light from one of the directions to which the windsurfers are riding to avoid blinding them. If there's no possibility of lighting them from any other angle, at least try to avoid front lighting them when they're riding downwind, which is when they'll be going faster.

My guess is that you'll be lighting also for the live spectators, which will probably end up forcing you to compromise your choice between what you want to show onscreen and what a live spectator expets to see. But who knows, maybe both of you are looking for the same thing.

#5 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

sounds like you could use a few Musco light rigs or Bebee light rigs

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery